Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power Query and Power BI

HI there 

I have an audit report for Power BI. A specific report is showing in the Audit, detailing that someone has created a new dataset and viewed it a number of times.  The user says they never created it in Power, but did so in Power Query in Excel.

Is it possible to create in Excel and for it to appear in PBI or do they actually have to go in to Power BI Transform Data and create it in there. 

Does anyone know please.

Thank you

Karen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hiya @KarenFingerhut , can you give us more details about the audit report? Is it a Microsoft created report or is it a custom audit report? If it's a custom audit report is the report built soley using the Power BI REST API? 

It could be that a dataset was created in Excel and is being utilized in Power BI. Is your user saying that they're not using the dataset that they created in Excel in Power BI? If a user creates a dataset in Excel saves the file and connects to that file in Power BI it would show as CreateDataSet.

Assuming it's built only with the Power BI REST API then it would have to be built in Power BI either by using Power BI Desktop and publishing or starting from the Power BI Service creating a new dataset and using Power Query Online.  If you're using a custom report then you should be able to create a table to see the user, activity, creation date, dataset name, and workspace. If you return results with that then that tells you that the dataset was created in Power BI and is being stored in a Power BI workspace.

Watsky_1-1623249991379.png

If you're at least a member of the workspace you can go to datasets and click the View option and change it to Lineage. Watsky_2-1623250700405.png That will show you if there is a report connected to the dataset.

Watsky_3-1623250999776.png

Hope this helps!

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up! ?
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KarenFingerhut ,

You can directly connect the Excel workbook to power bi desktop,check the reference below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-connect-excel

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

HI Kelly

Thanks for getting back to me and advising me where to get fruther information

Kind regards

KAren

Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hiya @KarenFingerhut , can you give us more details about the audit report? Is it a Microsoft created report or is it a custom audit report? If it's a custom audit report is the report built soley using the Power BI REST API? 

It could be that a dataset was created in Excel and is being utilized in Power BI. Is your user saying that they're not using the dataset that they created in Excel in Power BI? If a user creates a dataset in Excel saves the file and connects to that file in Power BI it would show as CreateDataSet.

Assuming it's built only with the Power BI REST API then it would have to be built in Power BI either by using Power BI Desktop and publishing or starting from the Power BI Service creating a new dataset and using Power Query Online.  If you're using a custom report then you should be able to create a table to see the user, activity, creation date, dataset name, and workspace. If you return results with that then that tells you that the dataset was created in Power BI and is being stored in a Power BI workspace.

Watsky_1-1623249991379.png

If you're at least a member of the workspace you can go to datasets and click the View option and change it to Lineage. Watsky_2-1623250700405.png That will show you if there is a report connected to the dataset.

Watsky_3-1623250999776.png

Hope this helps!

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up! ?

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

HI Watsky

Thank you for your reply. Its really helped. Appreciate the detail you've gone in to. I've definitely learnt something today

Many thanks

Kind regards

Karen

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors