Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

willayd
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power Query Rules for Column Expansion

Let's say I have two tables in a database, Sales and Sales_Detail, that have a defined primary / foreign key relationship. I've noticed when pulling the Sales_Detail into Power Query that I get the option to "expand" columns from the Sales table.

However, if I place a view directly on top of the Sales_Detail and pull that into Power Query instead, I lose the ability to still expand columns from the Sales table. I imagine this is because Power Query doesn't introspect the view to see the relationships behind it, but is this documented anywhere or alternately is there a way to explicitly tell the Power Query editor to allow expansion of Sales columns in the view?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can just do it manually. Load both tables in Power a Query and do a merge on the key, then you can expand from there. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

we generally advise our developers to switch off all the automatic field type and relationship detection options. Oftentimes these options lead to questionable results.

The developers need to know their data models, and they need to make these decisions themselves.

You can just do it manually. Load both tables in Power a Query and do a merge on the key, then you can expand from there. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors