Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dicko
Helper II
Helper II

Power Query / M: check if next row exists

I want to add a custom column with the value from column 'message', if that next row exists, for else I get an error.

Now I have:

Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "next", each if #"Added Index"{[Index]+1} then #"Added Index"{[Index]+1}[message]
  else null)

But this gives errors for all rows.

What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "next", each let a=#"Added Index"{[Index]+1}? in if a=null then null else a[message])

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "next", each let a=#"Added Index"{[Index]+1}? in if a=null then null else a[message])
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Are you trying to get the value of the next row in column [Message]?

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Yes, but only if a next row exists can I get a value.
For if the next row does not exist I get an error using my code.

2021-09-17_16h19_18.png

Hello - there is a great custom function to retreive the values of next/previous rows by Imke Feldmann. 

https://www.thebiccountant.com/2018/07/12/fast-and-easy-way-to-reference-previous-or-next-rows-in-po... 

RESULT (Data table)

I added two columns as an example - one for getting data from the next row and another for getting data from a previous row.

jennratten_0-1632058626918.png

SCRIPT fnGetDifferentRow

let func =   
 (Table as table, optional Step as number, optional SelectedColumns, optional GroupByColumns, optional Suffix as text, optional Buffer as any) =>

let
// Steps to prepare the (optional) parameters for the nested function "fnFetchNextRow"
    Source = if Buffer = null then Table else Table.Buffer(Table),
    Step0 = if Step = null then -1 else Step,
    Step_ = if Step = null then 1 else Number.Abs(Step),
    Suffix = if Suffix = null then ".Prev" else Suffix,
    GroupByColumns = if GroupByColumns = null then null else GroupByColumns,
    ShiftFunction = if Step0 < 0 then Table.RemoveLastN else Table.RemoveFirstN,
    ColNames = List.Buffer(Table.ColumnNames(Source)),
    NewColNames = if SelectedColumns = null then ColNames else SelectedColumns,
    CountNewCols = List.Count(NewColNames),

// Core function that retrieves values from previous or next rows (depending on sign of parameter "Step")
    fnFetchNextRow = (Table_ as table, optional Step as number, optional SelectedColumns, optional Suffix as text, optional Buffer as any) =>
        let
            MergeTable = if SelectedColumns = null then Table_ else Table.SelectColumns(Table_, SelectedColumns),
            Shift = if Step0 > 0 then ShiftFunction(MergeTable, Step_) & #table(NewColNames, List.Repeat({List.Repeat({null}, CountNewCols)}, Step_))
                                else #table(NewColNames, List.Repeat({List.Repeat({null}, CountNewCols)}, Step_)) & ShiftFunction(MergeTable, Step_),
            Reassemble = Table.ToColumns(Table_) & Table.ToColumns(Shift), 
            Custom1 = Table.FromColumns( Reassemble,  Table.ColumnNames(Source) & List.Transform(NewColNames, each _&Suffix ) )
        in
            Custom1,

// optional grouping on certain columns
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, GroupByColumns, {{"All", each _}}, GroupKind.Local),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom", each fnFetchNextRow([All], Step0, SelectedColumns, Suffix, Buffer)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.Combine(Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom", GroupByColumns & {"All"})[Custom]),

// case no grouping
    NoGroup = fnFetchNextRow(Source, Step0, SelectedColumns, Suffix, Buffer),

// select case grouping
    Result = if GroupByColumns = null then NoGroup else #"Removed Columns"
in
    Result ,
documentation = [
Documentation.Name =  " Table.ReferenceDifferentRow ",
Documentation.Description = " Adds columns to a <code>Table</code> with values from previous or next rows (according to the <code>Step</code>-index in the 2nd parameter) ",
Documentation.LongDescription = " Adds columns to a <code>Table</code> with values from previous or next rows (according to the <code>Step</code>-index in the 2nd parameter) ",
Documentation.Category = " Table ",
Documentation.Source = "  ",
Documentation.Version = " 1.0 ",
Documentation.Author = " Imke Feldmann (www.TheBIccountant.com ) ",
Documentation.Examples = {[Description =  "  ",
Code = " fnTable_ReferenceDifferentRow( #table( {""Product"", ""Value""}, List.Zip( { {""A"" ,""A"" ,""B"" ,""B"" ,""B""}, {""1"" ,""2"" ,""3"" ,""4"" ,""5""} } ) ) ) ",
Result = " #table( {""Product"", ""Value"", ""Product.Prev"", ""Value.Prev""}, List.Zip( { {""A"" ,""A"" ,""B"" ,""B"" ,""B""}, {""1"" ,""2"" ,""3"" ,""4"" ,""5""}, {null ,""A"" ,""A"" ,""B"" ,""B""}, {null ,""1"" ,""2"" ,""3"" ,""4""} } ) ) "]}]

in  
  Value.ReplaceType(func, Value.ReplaceMetadata(Value.Type(func), documentation))

SCRIPT Data

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSiwoyElV0lEyVIrViVZKSswDQiDXCMwtSE1MzgDyjMG84pKixPKk1KKiSqCQCVgovSixAKTbVCk2FgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Fruit = _t, Quantity = _t]),
    ChangeType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Fruit", type text}, {"Quantity", Int64.Type}}),
    // Source of Custom Function: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2018/07/12/fast-and-easy-way-to-reference-previous-or-next-rows-in-power-query-or-power-bi/
    AddNextRowValue = fnGetDifferentRow(
        ChangeType, // table to transform
        1,          // 1 = get value from the next row
        {"Fruit"},  // list of columns to add with next row values
        null,       // list of columns by which the data should be grouped
        ".next",    // suffix to add to the end of the new column names
        null        // buffer option
    ),
    AddPrevRowValue = fnGetDifferentRow(
        AddNextRowValue,
        null,       // null/default = get value from the previous row
        {"Fruit"},  // list of columns to add with next row values
        null,       // list of columns by which the data should be grouped
        ".prev",    // suffix to add to the end of the new column names
        null        // buffer option
    )
in
    AddPrevRowValue

Thanks for the solution for getting values if the next row exists.
Not my question, but nice to have for another time!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors