Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query M Code to look up value at the intersection of specific record & field

I come from an Excel user background & are trying to build my skills in Power BI & specifically Power Query M Code. My business have asked me to write a simple Power BI model to report graphically on KPIs.  To achieve this I am trying to build a calendar table that will dynamically know when todays date is so it can calculate figures for last week, last period etc.  I have searched the internet & found a number of people who have achieved this for standard calendar months, but not a system that can cope with the irregular pattern of 5+4+4 week quarters adjusted every few years to bring the year end back to the Saturday closest to 30 June, that is used by my company.

Therefore I have written the basic calendar table in Excel to link dates to financial years periods & weeks, & added uniquie index numbers for each.  I have then imported it into Power Query & written some M code that knows todays date & can show if a specified date is past or future, & whether it is today.  Up to that point it works fine.  I then need some Mcode that will find the record where IsToday=Today & return the value in the Week Index colomn.  This would be = the Current Week Index & deducting it from each Week Index for each record would give a week offset enabling the report to show this week, last week, 52 weeks ago etc.  This would be a simple LOOK UP exercise in Excel but I am struggling to do it in M code.

The code I have written so far is

Advanced Editor dCalendat query.PNG

This inserts the Current Week Index field but shows an error

Power Query Editor dCalendat query Current Week Index Error.PNG

The error expands to

Power Query Editor dCalendat query Current Week Index Error detail.PNG

Have you any suggestions as to the M code I need to complete this look up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Personal opinion/word of advice:  Don't do it (in Power BI). Use an external dates/calendar table that you maintain in an Excel file on a sharepoint, or in a SQL Server table.  That will not just save you lots of works, but also (hopefully) give you back some sanity. Especially with your off-standard fiscal calendar.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Personal opinion/word of advice:  Don't do it (in Power BI). Use an external dates/calendar table that you maintain in an Excel file on a sharepoint, or in a SQL Server table.  That will not just save you lots of works, but also (hopefully) give you back some sanity. Especially with your off-standard fiscal calendar.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors