Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ddichiera
Frequent Visitor

Power Query Intellisense giving erroneous results

Does anyone know if the Power Query team are going to fix the bug in Power Query Intellisense?

When It was first introduced, it worked well, then a subsequent update introduced errors where it double types some functions.

It's been reported previously and dismissed as functional. It is not!

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Power-Query-Intellisense-not-working-well/idi-p/1275162 

There are lots of examples to choose from, for example try typing Number.ToText using intellisense and you won't get a meaningful response, instead i get numberNumber.ToText, see below:

Typing this:

ddichiera_0-1632443948768.png

Gives this:

ddichiera_1-1632444017466.png

5 REPLIES 5
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ddichiera ,

As long as you don't enter the decimal point ".", you enter part of the function, and press Enter will not cause an error.

vstephenmsft_0-1632814311905.pngvstephenmsft_1-1632814323121.png

vstephenmsft_2-1632814508387.pngvstephenmsft_3-1632814528895.png

If you enter the decimal point ".", it will return the wrong result. This is because of the decimal point you input, the system may think that the code before the decimal point has been entered, and re-matches the relevant function after the decimal point, so two tables will appear.

vstephenmsft_4-1632814551442.pngvstephenmsft_5-1632814566767.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Stephen, I can kind of get that to work, really tricky.

Problem is,  I'm an instructor and getting my students to master that is nigh on impossible. The old "method" worked fine.

Hi @ddichiera ,

I think it was designed like this. Allow your students to get used to this operation.

You can find from the figure that if you only enter a ".", the function will exit. When you enter the "table" and then enter the ".", the table in front of the surface has ended, and it has nothing to do with the characters entered after the ".".

12.png

12.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @ddichiera ,

I think it was designed like this. Allow your students to get used to this operation.

You can find from the figure that if you only enter a ".", the function will exit. When you enter the "table" and then enter the ".", the table in front of the surface has ended, and it has nothing to do with the characters entered after the ".".

12.png

12.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ddichiera Yeah, I agree that is super annoying! Other than that, not sure if or when it will ever be rectified.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors