Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query - Get new or updated rows after overwriting exception values from one table to another

Hi,

I have 3 tables:

Mappings:

image.png

SFReport:

image.png

StudyReport:

image.png

Current Process (manual) :

- Analysts usually extract a list of unique Manager names and Team names from the `SFReport table` and append it below Mappings table.

- They then manually assign the Users to these Managers in the User column.

- They then add any exceptions in the Exception column for any `Manager - User` combination working on Accounts - the User needs to be replaced for that specific Account entered in exceptions. The format to determine which Accounts worked by which User is as e.g. `Acct1|Vincy,Acct2,Renu` i.e. `<Account name | User name>, <Account name | User name>` etc.

- This Mappings table is then merged back to the `SFReport table`, which should be a connection-only table that pulls external data into the query.

- The merge basically fills the `User` column with by looking up the Manager column

- It then checks the Accounts column of the `SFReport table` and sees if there are any exceptions for any `Manager - User` combination for that Account, then replaces the original User with the one given in exception.

e.g. If `Acct1 & Sidra - Zara` then change User Zara to Vincy`

N.B: This is only for new rows of `SFReport table` that may have that combination and not replace for earlier ones.

- Finally the `SFReport table` merges with the `StudyReport table` and dumps only new or updated rows to the `StudyReport table`.

Please note there may be multiple columns in between the columns show in the below Sample file in the StudyReport table.

Sample New File:

It contains all the tables & instructions for each table.

Can someone help me such an implementation? Any help will be most appreciated.

@AlexisOlson , @MarcelBeug @ImkeF 

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlexisOlson hope you are doing fine.

Would you be able to help with the 1st part (as per the title of my post) i.e. self-referencing Mappings file and including the exceptions in the StudyReport? Regarding updated or new studies, you already showed me how to do it. So i would be able to do the latter part. Thanks in advance.

Sorry. This is a bit beyond the scope of question and answer for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone help with the 1st scenario i.e. Mappings as a self-referencing table that doesnt change the sort order of exceptions + updating those exceptions user names to the correct accounts based on the Manager - User combination?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors