Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query Error - source data changed

Hello,

I had an excel file that was a source in a Power BI report I put together.

Well the pwbx file was open I opened the excel file to change some data.  Originally the column was a binary (0 or 1) however I updated it to show "Within", "Outside" or "N/A".

When I refreshed the data it showed errors going down the column.  I double clicked on the error, and now I'm stuck on the error and don't know how to fix it?  

ibesmond_0-1596744540887.png

Any advice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nishantjain
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Anonymous  as suggested by @Greg_Deckler remove the last step in your query. One of your steps should be "Changed Type1" which is effectively trying to convert your column into "type - number". It must be working fine before as you had 0 and 1 in that column. Now that you have text ("Within" etc), the data "type - number" is not valid which is giving you this error. Remove the "Changed type1" step and hopefully the error should go away

Nishant

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Nishantjain
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Anonymous  as suggested by @Greg_Deckler remove the last step in your query. One of your steps should be "Changed Type1" which is effectively trying to convert your column into "type - number". It must be working fine before as you had 0 and 1 in that column. Now that you have text ("Within" etc), the data "type - number" is not valid which is giving you this error. Remove the "Changed type1" step and hopefully the error should go away

Nishant

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Remove the last step in your query

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors