Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query Editor Restricted at 1000 Rows - Doesn't pull in new arrays added to JSON

Hello, I am currently pulling in JSON data into PowerBI. Since the early this year we have added 2 new arrays to the data structure, which are way past the 1000 row limitation that the wizard uses. When I try to manually add the new arrays in the Power Query advanced editor, I get the following error:

Expression.Error: We expected newColumnNames to have the same number of items as fieldNames.
Details:
[List

Is there a way around this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Not sure if my understanding is correct, but sometimes PQ autogenerates code that requires manual ammendments to typed in twice. So if you expand a record column for example, the following code will be generated:

Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "Value", {"streetAddress", "city", "state", "postalCode"}, {"streetAddress", "city", "state", "postalCode"})

The list in the last parameter is optional (new column names, if needed). So you can safely omit it if you want to stick with the original field names. 

BUT if you include more columns to expand, you have to add a name for those columns as well in the last parameter:

Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "Value", {"streetAddress", "city", "state", "postalCode", "country"}, {"streetAddress", "city", "state", "postalCode", "country"})

Otherwise your error message will be shown.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Not sure if my understanding is correct, but sometimes PQ autogenerates code that requires manual ammendments to typed in twice. So if you expand a record column for example, the following code will be generated:

Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "Value", {"streetAddress", "city", "state", "postalCode"}, {"streetAddress", "city", "state", "postalCode"})

The list in the last parameter is optional (new column names, if needed). So you can safely omit it if you want to stick with the original field names. 

BUT if you include more columns to expand, you have to add a name for those columns as well in the last parameter:

Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "Value", {"streetAddress", "city", "state", "postalCode", "country"}, {"streetAddress", "city", "state", "postalCode", "country"})

Otherwise your error message will be shown.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you this worked

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors