Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Query Editor Red/White striped bar

I am using the Power Query Editor to pull in data from an excel file stored on sharepoint. I noticed there is a red and white striped bar below some of my coulmn headers. What does this bar mean?

PBI Column Headers.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
artemus
Employee
Employee

It means errors were detected in some rows. Note that this takes a bit to update and may refer to a previous iteration you did.

Similarly blue means data, while black means empty/null 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
splambo
Advocate I
Advocate I

You might simply be seeing this red-and-white dotted bar because the file you use as a data source is open in another software, for example in Excel.

Close that file and refresh the preview in PowerBI, the line will change back to green.

guh950
Employee
Employee

I got this same issue twice. Once from mismatched datatypes in the column, and another time when I had queried too many rows from an excel file and the file kept crashing. In both instances, investigating the issue in greater detail helped me figure it out, although this issues isn't always going to tell you why its occurring.

michellepace
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi Mike,

I purposefully "broke" my data connection and got this red-white dashed line in the effected Query. The line remained there until I fixed what I broke.

That is to say, in power query editor I was connecting to a table in my excel file named sales_2018. I then opened my excel file and change the table name to sales_hello. Once I clicked refresh in power query editor, the query "sales_2018" got that red-and-white candy line below it. Obviously an indication that something is broken. I had to click on the query, then choose "Navigation" in the applied steps, and click on my newly named table - sales_hello. After that the red and white candy stripe disappeared. 

Cheers,

Michelle

artemus
Employee
Employee

It means errors were detected in some rows. Note that this takes a bit to update and may refer to a previous iteration you did.

Similarly blue means data, while black means empty/null 

Is there a documentation which colour mean what? 

I saw now a few different colour variants but I don't know what it means. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors