Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBIFin
Helper I
Helper I

Power Query Editor Preview: No Data loaded in All Existing Tables (? in every single table)

I have an existing Power BI Reports with data tables from various data sources (SQL Servers, excel files). This report is working fine, can refresh the data successfully from the Power BI Web Service and Desktop.

After the February 2021 update, I noticed that in the Power Query Editor, all tables has "?" and when I click on any single table to load the preview of the data, it just keeps loading (dots moving on top of the formula bar) and nothing happens (timed for 30 minutes and counting). This happen on every single data table which are all working. The 'Refresh' from the main Power BI Desktop window can refresh the data successfully but I just can't load the data in the Power Query Editor so I can make changes.

• I also tried adding a new table from an existing data source but it stuck in 'establishing connection'. (It can connect successfully in a New - Blank Power BI Report).
  • I tried running the diagnostic but even the diagnostic table log it automatically created is stuck in loading preview.
  • Tried clearing cache and increasing memory, still nothing.

Any ideas please?

4 REPLIES 4
debraa
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I have the same issue. My published reports continue to refresh but the desktop version wont load any data in Query editor. Even if I make changes in Advanced Editor and try to apply the changes, the load continues indefinitely. Even from local excel files.

I have tried downloading latest versions, clearing caches, restarting PC.

I had this a few months ago and it partially resolved itself. Sometimes its when I work from home that it suddenly works. However, the last time I had a colleague open the file and then try to edit (even though he didn't have access to the sources). He then saved it and when I re-opened it, I was able to edit the query once before it happened again.

UPDATE EDIT: this time updating to the new version seemed to work. Still had to wait 25 minutes though

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Potentially. Have you considered updating to the March release?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Any merge steps in your queries?

There is one small table with merge step with another smaller table (1 column, with final total of ~10 rows). Will that impact the preview of all tables in the report? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors