Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RG
Regular Visitor

Power Query - Combine Binaries

Hi guys. So ran into an issue lately, I am guessing after recent O365 updates. I have created several models based on the same csv data in single folder, and they work perfectly. Now, creating new models based on the same data, returns all the columns in one single column, meaning its concatenated. Adding new data data to the older models works perfectly, also PBID works fine. 

I also just created a few csv files in a small 30x4 grid, in order to test the combine binaries function on completely new data. Again it returs it all in one single column. 

This is very frustrating, any ideas are much appreciated. I attached a prt.scr. of what I am facing, will also attach the codes from editor mode if required.

PQ 03.02.2017.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Since the November 2016 update of Power BI Desktop, multiple object are created.

I provided an explanation in this topic.

My suggestion would be to verify your Transform Sample Binary from Data query:

by default, for csv-files the first step Source contains the function Csv.Document, including specifications for splitting values.

The next step is Promote Headers and the 3rd and last step is Change Type.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Since the November 2016 update of Power BI Desktop, multiple object are created.

I provided an explanation in this topic.

My suggestion would be to verify your Transform Sample Binary from Data query:

by default, for csv-files the first step Source contains the function Csv.Document, including specifications for splitting values.

The next step is Promote Headers and the 3rd and last step is Change Type.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Hi thanks for your reply. I failed to point out the issue was in excel version of PQ. But given the updates to O365, your solutions are highly relevant. I'll look through those and the 21min video to better understand the sample binaries. Thank you so much.

I'm not a fan of the combine.binaries-way at all. You can still to the "old-fashioned-way" via an added column like described in here for example: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Retain-file-name-column-when-using-Folder-as-a-data-source-P...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

RG
Regular Visitor

Well, it turns out latest build 7766.2047 prompts for data type detection. Just like in desktop version. No worries then. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors