Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hector3315
Frequent Visitor

Power Bi desktop or SSAS

I have been working with power bi desktop, we did an inform and I'm thinking on change to an SSAS because the machine where we ran the pbi Desktop ran out of memory wen we get the real data. And we think that SSAS would be a solution.  What do you think ?

I want to know too if I can connect my sql server database in live with SSAS I mean if I insert something in de database it will be inserted too at the same time in SSAS.

Thanks for the answers Smiley Very Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hector3315,

>>I have been working with power bi desktop, we did an inform and I'm thinking on change to an SSAS because the machine where we ran the pbi Desktop ran out of memory wen we get the real data. And we think that SSAS would be a solution.  What do you think ?

The Query Editor and Realtionship features in Power BI desktop can also be done on SSAS side. You can create a SSAS cube, then connect to it in desktop in a live connetcion.

>>I want to know too if I can connect my sql server database in live with SSAS I mean if I insert something in de database it will be inserted too at the same time in SSAS.

As far as I know, if you update data in orignal database which cube build from, you need to re-process the project to make the updated data into the cube. As the issue is more related to SSAS, you can post a thread in SQL Server Analysis Services forum.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hector3315,

>>I have been working with power bi desktop, we did an inform and I'm thinking on change to an SSAS because the machine where we ran the pbi Desktop ran out of memory wen we get the real data. And we think that SSAS would be a solution.  What do you think ?

The Query Editor and Realtionship features in Power BI desktop can also be done on SSAS side. You can create a SSAS cube, then connect to it in desktop in a live connetcion.

>>I want to know too if I can connect my sql server database in live with SSAS I mean if I insert something in de database it will be inserted too at the same time in SSAS.

As far as I know, if you update data in orignal database which cube build from, you need to re-process the project to make the updated data into the cube. As the issue is more related to SSAS, you can post a thread in SQL Server Analysis Services forum.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi hector3315.

You can create a tabular model (cube) in SSAS to aggregate the data instead of doing it in PowerBI for sure.

And then do a directquery against the model from PowerBI.

Which version and edition of SQLServer are you using by the way? 

The SSAS model won't automatically be updated when you insert data into your underlying tables - unless the model is set up with DirectQuery as well. However, you can set up a job that processes the SSAS model whenever you insert data into the tables.

SSIS and SQLAgent jobs is the easiest way to accomplish this in my experience.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors