Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI with Devops: how to retrieve all work items in a Release

Hi

I have created some Power BI dashboards for the Scrum team with Azure DevOps data, for a project. We need to add a page with the list of work items contained in each Release, however I am not being able to get this 😞 I have spent some hours looking around the documentation but have not found it out. 

I appreciate if anyone out there can help!

Thanks,

Rosie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

after making sure the configurations in teh attached article were in fact correct in our DevOps configuration (they were not 😞 we missed a checkbox!) :How to retrieve all work items associated with a release pipeline using Azure DevOps API | Developer...

We can now query as described in this document. However only for the future sprints (for which this configuration is valid), for the previous sprints we need an alternative solution, below.

After session with Microsoft Engineer we also may be able to go by Builds (query work items in a build associated with the Release) However this is a more complex thing to build automatically.

Hope this helps someone out there!

All the est,

Rosie

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Sorry I don't have much experience in Azure DevOps. Based on my research, it seems there is no direct Analytics data showing work items contained in each Release at Azure DevOps side (or I have missed it). So my idea is to generate this info at Azure DevOps side first, then use OData queries or other connectors in Power BI to connect to it. Not sure if this is doable.

See if these links are helpful:

How to retrieve all work items associated with a release pipeline using Azure DevOps API | Developer Support

How to view Work Items associated with a Release in Azure DevOps - Stack Overflow

Azure devops pipeline get work items between builds - Stack Overflow

How to query work items by build or release in Azure DevOps Boards? - Stack Overflow

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

after making sure the configurations in teh attached article were in fact correct in our DevOps configuration (they were not 😞 we missed a checkbox!) :How to retrieve all work items associated with a release pipeline using Azure DevOps API | Developer...

We can now query as described in this document. However only for the future sprints (for which this configuration is valid), for the previous sprints we need an alternative solution, below.

After session with Microsoft Engineer we also may be able to go by Builds (query work items in a build associated with the Release) However this is a more complex thing to build automatically.

Hope this helps someone out there!

All the est,

Rosie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Thanks, I had already seen those posts before asking my question. We have enabled on DevOps side but I still can't list the releases, however in Microsoft documenation a screen shot shows this #7 (here:Access Analytics data from Power BI Desktop - Azure DevOps | Microsoft Docs) but I can't get it to list :on my screen when I connect. 

Also I need to call this within Power BI and the above don't seem to work for this integration :(.

Regards,

Rosie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors