Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tamirk
Frequent Visitor

Power BI thinks my model uses on-premise data sources

Hi,

I created a model with Power BI desktop. 

Originally the model had a local file as its source, but now it's based on a service (salesforce) with zero references to local files (at least that I can see).

When I try to schedule a refresh I get this message:

This dataset contains on-premises data sources. To schedule data refresh, try Power BI Pro for 60 days, or contact your Office 365 tenant administrator to purchase Power BI Pro

One option I have is to recreate the model for the start and base it on the service. I made a small test and found it works. However, my real model has many things in it and recreating everything from scrach will take a considrable about of time.

Is there a way to fix whatever causes Power BI to think the model still contains local files?

Thanks,

T

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Delete your date set from Power BI Service completely.  In Power BI Desktop, go to File | Options and Settings | Data sources and delete the old local file data source.

Save and upload, should be OK.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I cleaned the "My Workspace" so that it's empty now. On the desktop I went to the data sources options and there're no local file data sources.

I then published the model again but still the services is saying I have on-premise source.

Do you have other ideas?

Thanks,

T

Crazy thought, try saving as or otherwise renaming your PBIX file and then uploading.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors