cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Power BI runs query multiple times on backend?

Hi Microsoft team !

What about this really important issue ?

It is not acceptable from customers not to have any answer or solution for this old issue, which is really problematic for us as several users run queries from PowerBi Desktop to our datasources (like Hive) and this become now a real performance issue for our platform.

We really need a solution from your team. Quickly.

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Hi,

I am having the same problem with the connection to Big Query.

I have just received our bill for last month and have noticed that the queries I have run via Power BI are running 2 or 3 times and each run is costing the business as it seems it is saying they are new queries each time so it is not using the cached data from a previous run.

Has anyone had any responses on why this is happening and if so any recommendations to stop it

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @BIDrone  ! I didn't have any answer from Microsoft Power Bi Team unfortunately.

This problem is really critical and it is causing extra costs for your company and I don't understand why they are not answering us.

Several tickets are opened about the same issue but nobody moves ...

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Hi,

I know we are getting extra costs as well.

I have raised a ticket via our helpdesk to Microsoft so hopefully if we keep bombarding them we might get somewhere.

If I hear anything will let you know if you could do the same

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Hi,

I have been having an email conversation with the Power BI support team and first they said this was bug but now they are saying it is by design.

I have pushed it back to them to explain why they think this is acceptable

Will update when I know anything

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BIDrone Thank you for all those informations.

From my point of view, no answer from the Microsoft PowerBI Team.

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Hi,

I have had numerous email converstaions and an actual call last Friday abou this.

In my case we are using Big Query and apparently by design PBI will run a query twice once for metadat and then for the actual data.

However the problem comes when you use an ODBC driver to connect ( I am using Simba as advised by Google) this then multiples the running of a query up by anothe two times so in all at least 4 times the query will  run, inmy case it runs a query anything up to 6 times .

I ran a test and the query runs multiple times if you make amends in power query , just openeing the PBIX file. Just seting up the PBIX adding a conditional column in PQ aloing with a custom column closing reopening and refreshing in total a simple query ran 22 times in all...not good.

We have pushed back to t hem now to sort out, theu did suggest to use there Big Query API but the problem is it runs the whole tables in and even if you set up views in Big Query it brings them in stages so back to multiple queries.

Its back with them now 😞

Highlighted

Hello BIDrone, did you find a way to avoid this?

I am having the same major issue.

¿Did you find a way to solve this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
June 2020 Community Highlights

June 2020 Community Highlights

Featured community members, changes to the Community, and more! Read up on recent Power BI community news.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021