cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI runs query multiple times on backend?

I'm developing a dashboard using Apache Hive as the backend storage (using an ODBC driver) and I've noticed something strange.

When I add a datasource, Power BI runs the query 3 times for each refresh. Some of these queries are quite complex on huge datasets, with many joins that can take > 15 minutes to complete. Having Power BI run the exact same query 3 times is causing issues.

What is Power BI doing, and is there any way to get it to not run the same query multiple times on each refresh?

I'm on Power BI version 2.47.4766.542 64-bit (June 2017)

29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Microsoft team !

What about this really important issue ?

It is not acceptable from customers not to have any answer or solution for this old issue, which is really problematic for us as several users run queries from PowerBi Desktop to our datasources (like Hive) and this become now a real performance issue for our platform.

We really need a solution from your team. Quickly.

Highlighted

Hi,

I am having the same problem with the connection to Big Query.

I have just received our bill for last month and have noticed that the queries I have run via Power BI are running 2 or 3 times and each run is costing the business as it seems it is saying they are new queries each time so it is not using the cached data from a previous run.

Has anyone had any responses on why this is happening and if so any recommendations to stop it

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @BIDrone  ! I didn't have any answer from Microsoft Power Bi Team unfortunately.

This problem is really critical and it is causing extra costs for your company and I don't understand why they are not answering us.

Several tickets are opened about the same issue but nobody moves ...

Highlighted

Hi,

I know we are getting extra costs as well.

I have raised a ticket via our helpdesk to Microsoft so hopefully if we keep bombarding them we might get somewhere.

If I hear anything will let you know if you could do the same

Highlighted

Hi,

I have been having an email conversation with the Power BI support team and first they said this was bug but now they are saying it is by design.

I have pushed it back to them to explain why they think this is acceptable

Will update when I know anything

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BIDrone Thank you for all those informations.

From my point of view, no answer from the Microsoft PowerBI Team.

Highlighted

Hi,

I have had numerous email converstaions and an actual call last Friday abou this.

In my case we are using Big Query and apparently by design PBI will run a query twice once for metadat and then for the actual data.

However the problem comes when you use an ODBC driver to connect ( I am using Simba as advised by Google) this then multiples the running of a query up by anothe two times so in all at least 4 times the query will  run, inmy case it runs a query anything up to 6 times .

I ran a test and the query runs multiple times if you make amends in power query , just openeing the PBIX file. Just seting up the PBIX adding a conditional column in PQ aloing with a custom column closing reopening and refreshing in total a simple query ran 22 times in all...not good.

We have pushed back to t hem now to sort out, theu did suggest to use there Big Query API but the problem is it runs the whole tables in and even if you set up views in Big Query it brings them in stages so back to multiple queries.

Its back with them now 😞

Highlighted

Hello BIDrone, did you find a way to avoid this?

I am having the same major issue.

¿Did you find a way to solve this?

Highlighted

@BIDrone   do you have any updates on this?  We are running into a similar issue but ours is with an Azure Managed Instance.  

Highlighted

We are having the same problem. We run a complicated query with multiple joins. We're connecting to a Vertica DB running on AWS. We connect via ODBC. Running the query multiple times (concurrently!) means that the data base runs out of memory. It also costs us money unnecessarily. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors