Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Rvn86
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI integration Dynamics 365 Operations workspace

Hi. 

I got a question regarding Power BI license and embedding reports/dashboards from Power BI into a Dynamics 365 Operations workspace. 

Does the changes in the license structure of Power BI that came in june affect the embedding of Power BI dashboards in D365 Operations? For example, if a user has created a dashboard with his Pro user, and has embedded this dashboard in D365 Operations for all users of D365 Operations to see. Will the other users of D365 Operations have to have a Pro license to view this dashboard in a D365 workspace?

Thank you very much for your reply.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Pro License is required for any and all users that want to simply view a report that has been shared with them.  If a report is shared with a user via the power BI service, then the user logs in to Dynamics 365, they will not be able to view the report until a pro license is procured.  This is a sad fact but, hey...that's just business.  I have tested this thoroughly and verified this is exactly how it works.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rvn86,

I've sent a email to consult this issue internally. Will update to you if I get information.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you. The integration between PowerBI and D365 Operations is an important function, and I hope that pro licenses is not needed. 

Pro License is required for any and all users that want to simply view a report that has been shared with them.  If a report is shared with a user via the power BI service, then the user logs in to Dynamics 365, they will not be able to view the report until a pro license is procured.  This is a sad fact but, hey...that's just business.  I have tested this thoroughly and verified this is exactly how it works.

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, that is my conclusion as well. As an additional point, it is my understanding that the standard PBI content packs can be utilized in D365 without any licensing issues regarding sharing of the reports from these content packs. 

i hope too that the end users dont need it power bi pro licenses, in the integration the power bi embbeded in D365 operations only display parts of a reports that is hosting in app.powerbi.com, always need to use a license  or power bi pro or i missing something?

@Rvn86 I'm pretty sure the license restriction was there prior to the June changes... Maybe it was only if you used a Pro feature. In any case, it is my understanding that your end users would need to have a Pro license, or you would need a Premium license which would cover them.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors