Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sdjensen
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Power BI gateway live query to Analysis Services OLAP cube requirements

Hi,

I have now searched the web a few days to find any information about SQL Server requirements to enable live query from Power BI to an Analysis Services Multidimensional cube.

I know that you need atleast to be on a SQL Server 2012, but does this feature work with all versions of the SQL Server 2012? Standard, BI and Enterprise?

I hope someone can answer this.

Kind Regards,

Søren

/sdjensen
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@sdjensen It sounds like this is the page you are looking for. The below section found in the link states the requierements.

Limitations of SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI Desktop
There are certain limitations to using the preview version of SSAS MD:
Servers must be running SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU4 or later versions of Analysis Services for the Power BI Desktop SSAS MD connector to work properly
Only Enterprise and Business Intelligence editions of SQL Server are supported for MD connectivity
Display Folder, Cell level Formatting, KPI Trends, and translation features are not supported in this preview build of SSAS MD. These features will be enabled in upcoming releases of Power BI Desktop.
Starting in the December 2015 release of Power BI Desktop, users can consume hierarchies defined in the model, including the entire hierarchy or any levels (parent levels are added automatically). Support for removing intermediate levels and Slicer support is coming in upcoming releases. The workaround for this limitation is to use the page level or report level filtering of a hierarchy.
In addition, as mentioned earlier you cannot publish a report created with the preview version of SSAS MD to the Power BI Service.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

It would work with any version of SQL Server 2012 that supported Tabular models.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I am not talking about the tabular model... I am talking about the Multidimensional model.

/sdjensen

@sdjensen It sounds like this is the page you are looking for. The below section found in the link states the requierements.

Limitations of SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI Desktop
There are certain limitations to using the preview version of SSAS MD:
Servers must be running SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU4 or later versions of Analysis Services for the Power BI Desktop SSAS MD connector to work properly
Only Enterprise and Business Intelligence editions of SQL Server are supported for MD connectivity
Display Folder, Cell level Formatting, KPI Trends, and translation features are not supported in this preview build of SSAS MD. These features will be enabled in upcoming releases of Power BI Desktop.
Starting in the December 2015 release of Power BI Desktop, users can consume hierarchies defined in the model, including the entire hierarchy or any levels (parent levels are added automatically). Support for removing intermediate levels and Slicer support is coming in upcoming releases. The workaround for this limitation is to use the page level or report level filtering of a hierarchy.
In addition, as mentioned earlier you cannot publish a report created with the preview version of SSAS MD to the Power BI Service.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors