Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alay
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI for Office 365: Refresh not working consistently

Hello fellow Power BI users,

I have two on-premise SQL Server databases defined as Data Sources in Power BI for Office 365. The Gateways and Data Sources are healthy.

One of the developers created a test workbook and I can refresh it but he cannot. Also, when I schedule the recurring refresh it works, albeit inconsistently. We are using the same SQL Server account in the Data Source as well as the Workbook.

So we actually have two issues -

1. The refreshes don't work consistently as you will see in the screenshot. Sometimes they take too long...I wonder if this is due to instability / ongoing issues in the office 365 power bi platform. There has been a service degraded message for a few days. But no way to figure out exactly what's going on. Also, I am aware that refresh time will depend on the latency between the Office 365 SharePoint site and our on-prem data source.

2. Can't figure out what's wrong with my developer unable to refresh. I am the admin. The connection string in the workbook and the data source is the same since I am able to refresh it. I also added him into the Global Adminstrator Group to see if that helps but no dice.

3. The Power BI pages seem to be rendering in Spanish frequently without any changes on our part. Wondering if anyone else is having these problems.

Errors.png

Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Tks & Rgds,

Alay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is now resolved. The resolution was to modify each data source and add the developer under users and group. Thank you to all that read and attempted to assist.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Alay
Helper I
Helper I

Sorry...typo above. 3 issues (instead of two.)

I have seen a few other posts on the Spanish thing, I have not seen this myself but I know some other people have reported it, unless you were that people...

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Spanish-language-showing-up-periodically/m-p/2301#M651

On the other side of things, it sounds like your developer does not have access to the SQL Server but that doesn't sound quite right. Sounds like you are using an Excel file and is your developer searching for the data source and downloading the query and then trying to use it?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

change_report_error_Message.pngThanks for the tip on the Spanish issue. Regarding my developer, he's created the workbook. We validated the connection string on the data sources and his workbook which contains  the power pivot table & visualization is the same. But when he tries to refresh it on the SharePoint / Power BI for Office 365 site, he gets an error. But I don't....The userid and password we are using is the same so it made us wonder if something's wrong with the SharePoint / Power BI Site. I even tried making him an owner of the SharePoint site but no dice.

This is now resolved. The resolution was to modify each data source and add the developer under users and group. Thank you to all that read and attempted to assist.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors