Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jman

Power BI embed_can our customers access their own data?

Summary

We sell a web app to our customers.

They use our web app for daily tasks and in addition, collect their own data using our system.

They display their own collected data via built in charts we made (D3) - very basic.

They can also make their own charts as we have provided some basic tools to do that.

Their respective data is in AWS.

We have no need to push any data to them - they just collect their own information and want to display it inside our web app.

Problem

We are not skilled enough to create a great chart builder and analytics tool.

It is not our core business and we are not very good at it.

The data our customers collect is getting greater and they want to look at it in different ways.

Our customers are asking for better visualisations and analytic smarts.

Questions

1. If we consider changing to Power BI Embed, can our customers see their own data inside our web app using the BI charts?
  2. Can they potentially create their own reports/charts inside our web app?
  3. Can it be set up so our data remains in AWS or will our database have to be moved over to Azure?

Thanks in advance as this will help start the process of what we decide to do.

James

Our Charts_d3.jpg

1 REPLY 1
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Jman I think you need to understand power bi embedded fully to be able to make decision but below are the answers to your question with some more information on power bi embedded.

1. Using power bi embedded you can integrate power bi visuals in your web app but someone has to build that visuals first. so yes they can see their own data in your web app  but someone would require to buid those reports / dashboards using customers data first.

2. Ability to drag and drop to create own reports is only available via power bi service. Power bi embedded is purely for integrating created visuals into web app.

3. I am not 100% sure but i think currently from power bi you can't connect straight to AWS database. I know there are number of Ideas posted regarding this including for Redshift and some of them are under review or started. You can also potentially research and test on ways to connect to that data source in AWS such as import it locally somewhere and then use in Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors