Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alcoholism
Regular Visitor

Power BI desktop file .Pbix outdate data overide update data in Power BI service?

Hi, My .pbix file and data source (excel file, daily updated) are saved in onedrive. Then i use Power BI service to import .pbix file to share on web

In day 1, Data in .pbix file, Power BI service and excel file are same  (day 1 data)

In data 2, Data in .pbix file is day 1 data,  Excel file data is day 2 data.

Power BI refresh Package refresh from .pbix file hourly and dataset refresh form Excel file (schedule refresh). Will .pbix file day 1 data override Excel file day 2 data in power service?

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @alcoholism,

Based on my understanding, you connect to the Power BI Desktop file via “Get Data->Files->OneDrive - Business” entry in Power BI Service, and you turn on “OneDrive refresh” and set up “Schedule refresh” for your dataset, right?

If that is the case, in this scenario, when you add new measures, change column names, or edit visualizations in Power BI Desktop file, once you save, those changes will be updated in Power BI , usually within about an hour, but this process will not overwrite any updated underlying data in the dataset, for more details, please review this article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-desktop-file-onedrive/ . I have tested this sceanrio and confirm it.

In other words, even if you don't refresh data in Power BI Desktop file, data in Power BI Service will not be updated by day1 data from PBIX file in day 2.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia, I have tested  and found that: - Everything i change on .pbix file and save to Onedrive, Power BI server will do the "scheduled" Onedrive refresh (update according to new .pbix file, "package refresh") , than follow by "on demand" Schedule refresh to dataset.

My Power BI is free copy and Schedule refresh (dataset refresh) i only daily. I think that when Onedrive refresh detect changing on .pbix file, it will trigger schedule refresh "on demand" automatically in order to keep dataset in Powe BI server is up-to-date.

Hi @alcoholism,

Yes. I get same phenomenon as yours.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If I understand your setup correctly, the Power BI refresh should refresh from your Excel file and get Day 2 data. Since you imported and didn't link your Power BI PBIX file, that file is effectively "orphaned" at that point and doesn't do anything.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi smoupre, Thanks.

My pbix save in Onedrive. When I update the Report  in  pbix file without refresh the date in pbix file, Power BI service will be updated by Onedrive update.

So i wonder the day1 data will be updated to Power BI from pbix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors