Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KV_PowerBI
Frequent Visitor

Power BI connected to Salesforce datasource - How to check if query folding is happening ?

I am connecting Power Bi to Salesforce using Power Bi Salesforce Object Connector. My aim to establish incremental refresh. Since incremental refresh in Power Bi requires Query folding , how do I check if query folding is happening with my Salesforce data ? Is there any tool to trace the query sent back to Salesforce from Power BI.

Please note in this case , the 'View Native Query' option in Power Query is greyed out. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

yes, that's exactly what it means.  Most simple filters are supported, some are transformed from relative to absolute.  But anything more complex than that is not currently supported.  

It's good enough for incremental refresh.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KV_PowerBI ,

If the View Native Query option is not enabled (greyed out), this is evidence that all query steps cannot be folded. However, it could mean that a subset of steps can still be folded. Working backwards from the last step, you can check each step to see if the View Native Query option is enabled. If this is the case, then you have learned where, in the sequence of steps, that query folding could no longer be achieved.

You could reference the document below to check if the transformations that can be query folded.

Transformations that can achieve folding 

And this blog may help you as well.

Query Folding with Salesforce 

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-xuding-msft Query folding for Salesforce objects is not currently indicated through the View Native Query link. It can only be observed the way I described. Hopefully this will be improved in the future, together with custom SOQL query support including subqueries. That would finally give us the possibility to recreate ReportTypes in SOQL.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can see it when you run diagnostics on your Power Query transformation step.  You can also see it in Fiddler or in the Dev tools on Chromium browsers.

Note that things like YESTERDAY or LASTDAYS:10  are not supported directly.  Power Query will translate that into absolute dates for the SOQL.  Still works.

Hello @lbendlin ,

Thanks for this tip ! Some progress .. I used Power Query Diagnostics on the transformation steps. 

My transformation steps consists of 1) Filtered Columns 2)  Date filter on Rows

I observed the transformation column filter and the Date filter included in the 'data source query' column (in the  'Diagnostics detailed..' table generated ); Ie the datasource query did have these transformations (select column1, column 2  and where date >= clause) .

Does this mean that query folding is indeed happening with Salesforce datasource eventhough the 'view native query' is disabled, I wonder ? What are your thoughts on this ?

My next step is setting up incremental refresh.

Thanks 

yes, that's exactly what it means.  Most simple filters are supported, some are transformed from relative to absolute.  But anything more complex than that is not currently supported.  

It's good enough for incremental refresh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors