Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ozo909
Regular Visitor

Power BI connected PivotTables in Excel for the web

I'm try to use this technique to show a live table of data rather then a pivot table:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel-blog/power-bi-connected-pivottables-in-excel-for-the-we...

In Excel I can generate the table by double clicking on a Value in the pivot table, which generates a new Connection with a DAX command. But once I upload the spreadsheet to PowerBI (or SharePoint Online) the second connection will not refresh. Is there a workaround for this?

5 REPLIES 5
ozo909
Regular Visitor

The addin allows connection to dataverse tables, here is a link:

https://joyofpowerapps.com/2021/07/07/data-management-is-a-breeze-with-the-microsoft-power-apps-offi...

Then you can use Get Data from Existing Connections to create new tables in different sheets. This solutions allows refreshing in Excel for the Web. 

I have tested this as a proof-of-concept only, I'm not sure what challenges you may face in a production environment.

Thank you very much! There are some concepts I'm unfamiliar with... I may need some time to comsume it. 

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ozo909 

Are you using the Show Details feature in Excel pivot table? If so, check the data in the generated sheet after you update data in data source. You will find that data in the sheet is not updated. It is because these extracted records are copies of the original records in the pivot table source data. They are not linked to the original records or to the pivot table. So when source data changes, it will not be updated. This is not due to uploading the spreadsheet to PowerBI or SharePoint Online. 

If you want to show live data, use data from the pivot table or source data table. 

Reference: Excel Pivot Table DrillDown Show Details (contextures.com)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Hi Jing

Thank you for getting back to me. I've tried so many ways to get the table to refresh when Online, the only add-in which will refresh is the Powerapps Office Addin. Hopefully Microsoft will soon allow Power Query connections to refresh in Excel for the Web.

Hi @ozo909 

Can you please share a link to a tutorial or guideline about how to refresh table with the PowerApps Office Add-in? This will help provide a direction for those who have similar need. And I'd like to learn about that. Thank you! 😊

BR,

Jing

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors