Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adcharji

Power BI connect SAP BW -> Sessions aren't closed on BW side, how can they be closed?

From https://userapps.support.sap.com/sap/support/knowledge/2777473 -> Q8

Session management is done by the frontends. So any frontend deciding on creating multipe RFC sessions is also responsible for closing these RFC sessions again.

RFC connections must be explicitly closed by the same application which opened the connection. See the general SAP Notes:

• 568271 Lifetime of an RFC connection
  • 780817 Analyse der RFC User * SM04

See this described for several other frontend tools as an example:

• 2177121 Common issues with RFC sessions and time out handling in BI Java Web
  • 2115095 The RFC session does not get closed immediately after the data refreshing or cl
  • 2020608 What is the lifetime of connections to SAP BW BEx queries via BICS when a Web I

The BW/NetWeaver backend will not randomly stop RFC sessions if the RFC client is still keeping it open.

Please, check for any session timeout parameters in the frontend.

Please, also limit the number of sessions the frontend tool is allowed to create.

Please, then check with the support of "Power BI" team. SAP Support cannot help with the session management of the frontend tool.

For My Problem, My SAP BW have many connection from power bi, Even if the power bi is done/cancelled. And it causes no memory problem.

I used SAP .Net Connector 3.0 for .NET 4.0 on x64.

3 REPLIES 3
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

We are currently experiencing the same issue. 
Is there any solution ?

adcharji

I've set two configurations as you suggested. But it didn't help.

adcharji_0-1660641697630.png

Green box, It's affect from diable loading in backgroud (follow your suggestion). but when I click step in right pane (red box),

when I click 1 step, it will occur 1 rfc connection in sap bw.

when I click 5 steps, it will occur 5 rfc connections in sap bw.

After I click several steps, I found a lot of RFC connections in the picture below. My sap bw is slow performance. And there's no memory in the end. 

That's during that time. I've turned off power bi, but the RFC connections continues to run.

adcharji_1-1660641919962.png

I test same situation in sql server source. It's occur new connection but the old connection will cancel immediately follow the power bi. I think SAP BW Connector has problem about cancel rfc connection when action complete or action cancel in power bi.

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @adcharji ,

Try to increase the Maximum allowed to 16000 from File / Options and Settings / Options / Global / Data Load.  Data Cache Management Options.

vstephenmsft_0-1660632448145.png

Also try to check never allow data preview to download in background from File / Options and Settings / Options / Global / Data Load.  Background Data.

vstephenmsft_1-1660632691288.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors