Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ven
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Web cached credentials For OData

Hi

I have a Content Pack Template that was created in the Desktop app and used a url to connect to an OData source in Domain A. When I try to use the Content Pack I've set it up so you can enter a different URL and connect to an different OData source that supplies the same information in Domain B. Becuase I've already connected to that Odata source in Domain B it seem the Power BI Web has remembered that connection and doesn't ask me to enter any credentials. Is there a way of clearing that credential cache out at all?

It's not the browser cache as I've tried this on a VM machine that hasn't connected to Power BI before either through the Web, Desktop or Gateway.

I have no gateways setup to connect to the OData feed and never have had.

I've tried clearing out the Global Cache in the Desktop in 'File' -> 'Options and settings' -> 'Data Load' -> 'Clear Cache'.

I've tried 'Files' -> 'Data Source Settings' and removed all sources in there.

I've cleared out the browser history completely but nothing seems to clear out this credential cache.

Each time I've tried this things I've recreated the Content Pack Template and it still remembers the credentials to connect  to Domain B.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Ven

6 REPLIES 6
roros
Regular Visitor

Does anyone know how to clear cached credentials from the cloud content packs? I have multiple account I need to connect to which use different keys, but cached keys are being used to authenticate.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, But I wish I did.

AE_K
Regular Visitor

Hi Ven, 

In case you've solved your issue, can you tell me how? I have the same issue, I've accidentally accessed an odata feed for office 365 usage reports with my user credentials instead of my admin credentials and can't seem to reset this. Now obviously the odata URL isn't returning any data to me 😞

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9413151-don-t-cache-credentials

Larry Steinle wrotee:

Found a way to remove the cached credentials. In Power BI Desktop select File, Options and Settings and then Data Source Settings. Find the data source with the cached settings and use the "Clear Permissions" button to reset. Again, it should be obvious to the user when cached credentials are used and which cached credentials are used. Even in the Data Source Settings form we can't tell which credentials are used with each data source.

KumarDarmesh
Helper IV
Helper IV

Have you tried to login out and re-login? What's going on when login in with another account?

Hi Kumar

Thanks for your reply

Yes I've tried logging out and in. Tried on a VM that has never seen Power BI ever. The credentials for accessing the OData feed are stored some where and used for the connection in my Power BI account it would seem. I've tried clearing out the cache for IE, The caches on the Power BI Desktop. There is no gateway setup to any OData sources in the Power BI Web.

I think in general this isn't a problem for normal user really as they would probably want to store the credentials if they regularaly connect to a service. As a developer if you want to test different logins for an OData service having it remember your credentials and not being able to clear them is a bit of problem.

Regards

Ven

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors