Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

prakchan499
Frequent Visitor

Power BI This report could not access its data source. please contact developer.

Hello All,
It woluld be great help if someone can help me in publishing and distribute Power BI Report using SSAS Tabular Model as backend with latest Gateway released as on 15-Feb-2016.

Presently I am getting below error:
Power BI This report could not access its data source. please contact <Developer>, the author, to have it fixed.
I have SSAS 2012 (Tabular) installed on my premises and I developed report and published on cloud and able to access them using my account after configuring SSAS tabular data source but when I create content pack and share the same with others in my organiation, they are getting above error. Though they can see link under Reports and Datasets, in-fact report section are also available but all shows X icon. When I click on Technical details I see below:

Activity ID
4f4c83ba-8d75-4e22-a1fa-20b1992d5e7a

TimeMon Feb 15 2016 05:27:06 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Version13.0.800.434
Cluster URIhttps://wabi-west-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net

I have configured Enterprise Gateway, earlier I had PowerBI SSAS Connector but I guess Microsoft has replaced it with PowerBI Enterprise Gateway.

I have tried using Power BI SSAS Conector also from other machine but again getting error at the final step of SSAS connector.
The data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position1.
Though I am able to see data source in Power BI cloud but when I open it to select data, I see below error:

Power BI can't connect to the On-Premises Analysis Services Server <server>. The administrator of the server provided the following message : Datamart 202.
Technical details:
Activity ID: 703f90e7-c54e-46ea-af6f-c2f891d0abae
Request ID: 06da4173-68b5-9864-0b50-a5085c82c05c
Date: 2016-02-15 10:32:24Z (UTC)
Error text: SQL Server Analysis Services Connector is unable to connect to the Analysis Server instance. Please make sure the Analysis Server instance is up and running.

Earlier SSAS connector was working before Microsoft removed SSAS Connector from download section.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

raghavendrasrb,

Was it connected to SSAS? If so, if you have "Live connection" set up people viewing the dashsboard must have access to the data source. You can use "import" instead and scheduled refresh to avoid this.

View solution in original post

You may have solved your issue already, but please check if the service account(s) you're using for SSAS/EGW has "Read" permission on the AD user in acrtive directory. I had an issue this week where one user had "Read" for "Authenticated Users" checked, and the other had not (and that user's connection failed).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
dimazaid
Employee
Employee

hi prakchan499,
Please send us your Gateway logs to hybridbi@microsoft.com. Logs can be found at: C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Enterprise Gateway\EnterpriseGateway*.log 

vaidag
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have the same issue with multidimensional SSAS. After publishing the report, created with Power BI Desktop, in Power BI service I get the error: "This report could not access its data source. please contact <Developer>, the author, to have it fixed.". I connect to Power BI Service with username@company2.onmicrosoft.com, I've also added UPN 'company2.onmicrosoft.com' to my AD account COMPANY/username. Any advice?

vaidag,
Could you further explain the issue you're running into? In specific this part" I've also added UPN 'company2.onmicrosoft.com' to my AD account COMPANY/username"?

Hello,

now we are trying to connect from our companie's Office 365 tenant, so I connect to Power BI service as: jonas.jonauskas@company.lt.
My AD account is: COMP\jonasp. We've added the UPN (jonas.jonauskas@company.lt) to my AD account. I still get the same error, when I try to view the report from Power BI service.

Gateway log and SQL Profiler both gives the same error message: The user name or password is incorrect.

You may have solved your issue already, but please check if the service account(s) you're using for SSAS/EGW has "Read" permission on the AD user in acrtive directory. I had an issue this week where one user had "Read" for "Authenticated Users" checked, and the other had not (and that user's connection failed).

raghavendrasrb

I shared my dashboard to my team, few members able to see the dashboard. But few members are getting this error.

Please let me know how to troubleshoot this error.

Thansk

Raghav

raghavendrasrb,

Was it connected to SSAS? If so, if you have "Live connection" set up people viewing the dashsboard must have access to the data source. You can use "import" instead and scheduled refresh to avoid this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors