Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

toshiw
Regular Visitor

Power BI On-premises data gateway installation.

In power BI On-premises data gateway installation, after the installation completes, it asks for "Email address to use with this gateway." Then it asks to "signin to register your gateway." If I use my email address from my organization for this and later I leave this organization and my account is deleted including this email address I used to register, does this break the data gateway? Should I be using service account instead of my account for this setup?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@toshiw,

The account you use to sign in to register gateway should also be a Power BI account. In other words, you are able to sign in Power BI Service with this account.

If you leave the organization and your account is deleted, the gateway configured by yourself is unable to be used unless you add other members as gateway admin. You can refer to the following article about how to add gateway administrators.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-manage

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@toshiw,

The account you use to sign in to register gateway should also be a Power BI account. In other words, you are able to sign in Power BI Service with this account.

If you leave the organization and your account is deleted, the gateway configured by yourself is unable to be used unless you add other members as gateway admin. You can refer to the following article about how to add gateway administrators.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-manage

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft"If you leave the organization and your account is deleted, the gateway configured by yourself is unable to be used unless you add other members as gateway admin"

Looks like it is not working exactly like you wrote here. I have already experienced the situation when my credentials used during the installation of the gateway expired. The gateway broke down and having 2 additional admins did not solve this automatically. I had to update my credentials or possibly other admin must would provide his own.  Does the service account is the best way in such case?

@Anonymous  Is this true? have you switched to a service account? I'm about to set up the gateway with a non-service account, but I'm afraid I won't be able to change that in the future (doesn't seem to be a way to change this, unless I change the Local Service account as well - NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService ) 😤

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors