Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

harshabeeram
Employee
Employee

Power BI Integration with Tenable

Hello All – I am looking for someone who has been able to export data out of Tenable and import it into PowerBI.

• What is Tenable -  A cloud based company that helps organizations to manage & measure their cyber exposure
  • What data to export -  Vulnerabilties and Assests

Tenable documentation has shown some ways to export their data - One way is using post REST API and the other is using a Python Script. I have tried using their python script in powerBI and it errors out with a TimeOut error. The script takes more than 40 minutes to run.

Has any one worked out an integration between Tenable & PowerBI before, if so, please let me know.

We really do not want to reinvent the wheels here.. We need some help here..

Thanks,

Harsha Beeram

5 REPLIES 5
powerful_user
Frequent Visitor
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @harshabeeram 

Try to access the Tenable database with the API.

There is a blog how to connect to API in Power BI Desktop for your reference.

https://chris.koester.io/index.php/2015/07/16/get-data-from-twitter-api-with-power-query/

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The issue that I see is that Tenable does not provide an API with GET method.

They only have API’s with POST.

Tenable documentation has shown some ways to export their data – One way is using post REST API and the other is using a Python Script. I have tried using their python script in PowerBI and it errors out with a TimeOut error. The script takes more than 40 minutes to run. The reason for the long time, is that the script is trying to download everything out there.. As you can see in the below code, there are no filters… Below is the script:

from tenable_io.client import TenableIOClient

client = TenableIOClient(access_key=’xxxxxxxxxxxxxx',secret_key='zzzzzzzzzzzzzz')

assets = client.export_helper.download_assets(chunk_size=1000, has_plugin_results=True)

Someone from the BI community, shared that they created a PowerShell module that imports the data into SQL and normalizes the data, from which we could create BI reports. I am looking for a solution where I could have a powerquery within BI and everytime I hit refresh button, it could reach out to Tenable to get the latest data

Hi @harshabeeram, Were you able to get to the power query level and develop a working solution with Power BI? If yes, can you please throw some light here, is there any template you would be able to share?

Hi,

Could you share this powershell module?

Please!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors