Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bkoenen
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Desktop, import data from SQL Database and build a history

Hello,

I have a connection from Power BI Desktop to an SQL database. I only import one table, this table has only one row with columns: Number, date/time, user.

Sometimes a user changes the Number via a module in an ERP program.

The row in the Database table will be overwritten with a new Number, date/time and user.

In Power BI, the row will also be overwritten, bud I want to build a history in Power BI, so that it will create a new row every time I do a refresh and a value has changed. I want this history so I can see what date which user has changed the value.

Is this possible in Power BI Desktop?

Kind regards,

Björn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

No. Power BI is a read only tool, it cannot change data in the source nor add an archive. Each refresh is a "wipe everything and reload from the source."

To create an archive of what was done, you would need to either use a Stored Procedure to append data to a history table you create when that table changes, or use Power Automate to do this via a flow. It can detect when records change and add data to a new SQL table or an Excel spreadsheet if that is easier.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

No. Power BI is a read only tool, it cannot change data in the source nor add an archive. Each refresh is a "wipe everything and reload from the source."

To create an archive of what was done, you would need to either use a Stored Procedure to append data to a history table you create when that table changes, or use Power Automate to do this via a flow. It can detect when records change and add data to a new SQL table or an Excel spreadsheet if that is easier.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Thank you Ed Hans,

I will study the Power Automate and Flow possibilities to create a new table or spreadsheet.

Kind Regards,

Björn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors