Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ashwindd
Regular Visitor

Power BI Desktop - Slow connection to Oracle

We have been trying to connect Power BI desktop to an Oracle table to import data into Power BI. The connection has been extremely slow with a througput of only 8-10 records per seconds. We have 19 million records to be imported and have not been able to successfully import the data even once.

Please let us know if there are ways to increase the throughput when connecting to Oracle?

Is the throughput better when we connect to SQL server or SSAS cubes using Power BI?

1 REPLY 1
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ashwindd,

In my opinion, as there are large amount of records returned from the Oracle database, it's take a long time to import data to desktop. I would suggest you Using Application Tracing Tools to trace the desktop running against the Oracle database. Also please try to connect to Oracle database in DirectQuery which will not import any data to desktop.

It's hard to say whether the performance connect to SSAS cube is better than Oracle database or not, the performance when get data can be affected by many factors, like database server performance, connect mode (Import, DirectQuery or Live connection), number of records, etc. But if there are large amount of data, I would like to connect in DirectQuery or Live connection. When we interact with the data, it will send backend query to access target database.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors