Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

hyggins
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Desktop Excel Online Datasource failing

I have an existing report which, until today, was working perfectly. I typically create reports in Desktop and publish to Services. A change request came through so I loaded the report in Desktop to begin edits. Then I noticed the Desktop refresh was failing. The failure is on an Excel Online (Onedrive) datasource.

Error message

Unable to connect

Details: "SharePoint: Request failed: https://<our organizations sharepoint url>/Cloud Tables/file.xlsx/_api/contextinfo"

I am not prompted for credentials or anything else. It goes straight to this error message.

This file is located in my OneDrive for Business and I have full permissions on the file.

This datasource was originally created using the method detailed here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links

The other curious thing the "_api/contextinfo" noted in the error on the end of the url string. My URL entered into the Web datasource type ends at the .xlsx. It's possible Power BI has always added that and I didn't notice since there were no errors before.

Currently, the original report published to Services is working fine. It is on an automated refresh and is successfully updating/connecting to the Excel file.

The only thing that I can think of that is different is the Power BI desktop version. It's been updated since the last time I edited the report. I tried finding the prior version (February update) to test but couldn't find it online or on my hard drive.

Please let me know what additional information I can provide.

Is anyone else suddenly having this issue and/or know how to fix it?

Thank you!

Grant

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@hyggins,

Do you connect to Power BI Service dataset using Power BI Service connector in Power BI Desktop ? Or you are editing the original PBIX file which you have published to Power BI Service?

If you are editing the original PBIX file, backup the PBIX file, then delete the data source (File->Options and Settings->Data Source Settings->Clear Permission) and reconnect(File->Options and Settings->Data Source Settings->Edit Permission) to see if it works.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ulrick65

Same problem here.  This has always worked in the past (as early as a month ago) but now the same file is failing with the error above.  Something changed I assume with a recent update.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@hyggins,

Do you connect to Power BI Service dataset using Power BI Service connector in Power BI Desktop ? Or you are editing the original PBIX file which you have published to Power BI Service?

If you are editing the original PBIX file, backup the PBIX file, then delete the data source (File->Options and Settings->Data Source Settings->Clear Permission) and reconnect(File->Options and Settings->Data Source Settings->Edit Permission) to see if it works.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-yuezhe-msft,

Thank you for the reply. I am editing the original PBIX file. I was able to test this morning and the steps you detailed brought back the credential prompts. Using my Organization credentials I connected successfully to the Excel file in my OneDrive for Business folder.

Thanks again!

Hello, 

I'm getting the same error, as I have been tried to clear permission and log in again with my credentials but still not working.

Any suggestion?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

the same problem here - it didn´t solve the problem to clear the permission.

Are there any other solutions?

Thank you

Hi,

I have faced the same issue with this topic, however when I clear permission and tried to connect with the organisational credentials I stil have the same notification error.

Any suggestion please ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors