Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Starbar
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Datasets

Hi Everyone - First Post so be gentle please....

I created a report under desktop for Department "A" with the pbx file linking to numerous tables / data sources. This is saved under workspace "A" and refreshed using the Power BI service auto refresh 8 times a day to offer as close to live reporting as i could think.

I have then opened this PBX file in desktop, saved as a different name for Department "B" and saved under workspace "B". I now have multiple workspaces with multiple reports all with mutiple datasets (although the data they import is identical).

My question is: 1) I have never used the "Get Data-Power BI datasets" when getting data. Would this stop all data sources from being refreshed indiviually and if not is there any other advantage to doing this?

2) As each workspace is refreshing the same dataset, is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks Massively in advance,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Starbar ,

If I understand your goal correctly that you want to show the report for the specific department.

If it is, I will suggest you use Row-level-Security to achieve your requirement. So that you only need to create one workspace and set the schedule refresh for one dataset. 

Please note that the RLS only support in Classic app workspace and RLS only works if the workspace is set with view permission.

You could have a good look at this guide document about RLS.

In addition, here is the blog which introduce the dynamic RLS with step by step.

If you insist on creating numerous workspaces for each department with required reports, I'm afraid that you have set the schedule refresh in each workspace.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Thank you very much for the response. I will read the provided link

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Starbar ,

My question is: 1) I have never used the "Get Data-Power BI datasets" when getting data. Would this stop all data sources from being refreshed indiviually and if not is there any other advantage to doing this?

2) As each workspace is refreshing the same dataset, is there a better way of doing this?

1) I'm afraid that the dataset in different workspace will not be affacted by each other.

Actually, if you get data with Power BI Dataset from workspace A, you only could use the data in this dataset and publish this report in app workspace A. If you open the pbix in power bi desktop, you could use the original data source and publish the report any app workspace in power bi service.

2) I'm a little confused about this question. Do you want to refresh the dataset in different workspace at one place?

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you very much for response but still little confused

A bit more detail:

The dataset I use for each report is a combination of a) numerous tables in our EPOS system b) numerous excel spreadsheets and c) web API links. As this would would take a long time to recreate and format all fields i just resave the PBIX file as a different name and format for the desired report. Hence all reports use the same datasource.

I then have created numerous workspaces for each department with required reports included under each workspace / department. (User viewing datasource has been disabled as I do not  want them seeing source.)

Each dataset (which is the same datasource) is scheduled to refresh on the hour to get as close to live reporting as possible (Same datasource is being refreshed for each workspace E.g 10 times). Each automatic refresh takes between 2 and 20 mins. I now have 10+ workspaces refreshing the same data and i am concerned this may impact the performance of the updates or the performance of the EPOS system.

Every workspace uses the same dataset saved under a different report for each department. Is there a better / more efficient of me creating this structrure of reporting?

Hopefully this is a little clearer and thanks for your time

Andrew

Hi @Starbar ,

If I understand your goal correctly that you want to show the report for the specific department.

If it is, I will suggest you use Row-level-Security to achieve your requirement. So that you only need to create one workspace and set the schedule refresh for one dataset. 

Please note that the RLS only support in Classic app workspace and RLS only works if the workspace is set with view permission.

You could have a good look at this guide document about RLS.

In addition, here is the blog which introduce the dynamic RLS with step by step.

If you insist on creating numerous workspaces for each department with required reports, I'm afraid that you have set the schedule refresh in each workspace.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Thank you very much for the response. I will read the provided link

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors