Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sreehari
Regular Visitor

Power BI Connecting to AWS SQL Server RDS

Hi team Has anyone tried out connecting AWS SQL RDS Datasource with in Power BI both Desktop and Online. Does it require any Port Opening from the ON-PREMISE Enterprise Gateway. How the SQl Server can be Exposed from AWS Cloud.
7 REPLIES 7
MaheshDadhich
Helper I
Helper I

Hello All,

I tried to connect Power BI to MY SQL as data source  hosted in AWS RDS. While connecting It asked to install MY SQL from following link

https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net/

However few component did not install successfully but still I proceeded and completed the installation. After that I was able to connect Power BI with MY SQL(Hosted in AWS RDS) I cretaed test report and published successfully in Power BI service as well.

But I want to understand that Can I build my solution based on this , Is this connectivity reliable , stable and consistent Or there is any risk to go with this and rely on it. Can you please suggest and guide me.

Thanks in advance

Mahesh

nish_kadi

You can leverage the on-prem connector offered by DataDirect's Hybrid Connectivity Services. With their patented on-premises connector technology, you won't have to open any ports. This Data API gateway offers secure access to on-prem data sources using standard OData or ODBC connections.

nish_kadi

You can leverage the on-prem connector offered by DataDirect's Hybrid Connectivity Services. With their patented on-premises connector technology, you won't have to open any ports. This Data API gateway offers secure access to on-prem data sources using standard OData or ODBC connections.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sreehari,

Based on my research, there is no OOTB feature for us to connect to AWS RDS SQL Server data source both in Power BI Desktop and Service. Also AWS RDS SQL Server data source is not supported in on-premises data gateway. You can vote and comment on this idea item: AWS RDS SQL Server data source.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This is a must-have feature. We are using PowerBI now on an enterprise level for over a year, but are considering to switch due to this missing feature.

Hi 

I am trying to connect Power BI online gateway with a AWS SQL Server RDS data source.  The connection  fails most of the times, but strangely on rare occasions it works. Not able to figure out the issue.

Is AWS SQL RDS not supported officially as a gateway dataset on Power BI ?  Can someone clarify if they have found a fix to this ?  Much appreciated.

Thank You.

-Raj

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@sreehari Amazon redshift database connector in power bi desktop is still in preview. It is yet not supported in power bi gateway and so you won't be able to add it as a data source for gateway. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors