Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dglsmason
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Client Lack of Sorting Dynamics CRM Field Names

The latest version of the Power BI Client still does not sort field names with queries on Dynamics CRM. This continues to make it very difficult to use as most of our CRM entities contain a lot of fields. Trying to scroll through the field names to select or de-select fields is very slow and painful. Any idea when this will change? Please note that due to our need to include custom fields, the web version (content pack), which is sorted by field name, is not an option for us. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
StNick
Regular Visitor

I signed up to discuss this very issue; I cannot discern the logic to the way the fields are currently displaying after you load the set. It doesn't appear to be by logical name, schema name or display name, nor anything like creation date as the GUID field is half-way down the list. It makes trying to create relationships between custom entities extremely tedious.

It appears that by going into the query editor you can manually change the order of fields (so finding the IDs and sending them to the beginning of the query) however those changes don't appear to carry throughout the set, as the order when viewing relationships has not changed.

The columns are displayed in the order they're listed in the metadata that comes back from CRM. We assume that a given source is returning columns in an order which makes sense for that source. I think it would be a mistake to do anything else.

You can sort columns alphabetically by adding a single formula

= Table.ReorderColumns(Source, List.Sort(Table.ColumnNames(Source), Comparer.FromCulture("", true)))

(where Source is the table you want to sort). This won't help with related tables, but it's easier than dragging a bunch of columns around. If there's a sort heuristic you want based solely on column names and column types, that's probably not hard to implement as a custom query step.

Thanks! The sorting worked - below is an example of my advanced query.

let
Source = OData.Feed("https://xxxxx.crm.dynamics.com/XRMServices/2011/OrganizationData.svc"),
OpportunitySet_table = Source{[Name="OpportunitySet",Signature="table"]}[Data],
#"Sorted Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(OpportunitySet_table, List.Sort(Table.ColumnNames(OpportunitySet_table), Comparer.FromCulture("", true)))
in
#"Sorted Columns"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors