Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Daniel_LP
Frequent Visitor

PostgreSQL ODBC connection limit

Hi Everyone

Our organisation has changed to a case management system that finally allows us to connect via ODBC to their PostgreSQL Database.

The NpgSQL driver, unfortunately kept complaining about insufficient certificates.

Therefore I am using the PostgreSQL driver from https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/odbc/versions/msi/

I am able to create reports in PBI by I importing one table at a time - howevere, talking to our CMS provider they have limited the connections to 4 at a time.

My data model has 15 tables and as far as I can tell every table uses one connection.

I was wondering if PowerBI is capable of closing connections before opening a new one? Is it something that I can manipulate in my connection string? - If neither of these are an option, what would you recommend as a solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Daniel_LP ,

More details will be more helpful.

Do you have any error mesage in Power BI Desktop? If you have, please share the screenshot of the error message.

In addition, you could use SQL Server Profiler to trace if every table uses one connection.

Finally, I'm afraid that PowerBI cannot close connections before opening a new one.

You may could try to enable this option under Data Load.

Capture.PNG

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Daniel_LP ,

More details will be more helpful.

Do you have any error mesage in Power BI Desktop? If you have, please share the screenshot of the error message.

In addition, you could use SQL Server Profiler to trace if every table uses one connection.

Finally, I'm afraid that PowerBI cannot close connections before opening a new one.

You may could try to enable this option under Data Load.

Capture.PNG

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry!

Thank you very much!

Turning off "Parallel loading of tables" has fixed the issue for me!

Thanks

Daniel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors