Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Possibility to make import table from Direct Query-table without calling SQL server?

Hey!
I have one project I'm working on which requires quick refresh. I got one table that I'd like to get with DIrect Query but I also need to make deductive columns from that data. Thats why I need imported version also.

I was thinking is there a way to get import copy from DQ-table that updates as DQ updates with APR? I mean like that the modified import table wouldn't fetch data from server but directly from the "image" of DQ-Table. Below I've tried to illustrate my question:
Explanation.png

I'm looking for that green connection instead of red one which is default with import-tables.
Any thoughts if this is possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Anonymous 

Unfortunately, It is unsupported to get import-table contents updated as DQ -table updates without need to manually refresh Import-table. For import mode, you need to click the 'Refresh' buttton in Power BI Desktop, configure schedule refresh or click 'Refresh now' in Power BI Service to update data.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

It's possible to switch a model from DirectQuery mode to use import mode, all the necessary data must be imported. While it's not possible to switch back, primarily because of the set of features not supported in DirectQuery mode.

You may click the 'Storage Mode' in the bottom left of Power BI Desktop to switch a model from DirectQuery mode to use import mode. Or you may change the mode in 'Model View'.

a1.png

a2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @v-alq-msft !

Thanks for trying to help, but this was not the thing I was seeking solution for. I'm aware that I can change DQ to import from storage-mode tool. I meant that when DQ table is in the model, can I directly refer it as an import table, without need to refresh import-table from SQL server but directly from DQ.
I'd like to know if it's possible to get import-table contents updated as DQ -table updates without need to manually refresh Import-table?
Once again, thanks for answering!

You can probably achieve this by adding a power apps visual, which can update the underlying Power Bi data model

Hi, @Anonymous 

Unfortunately, It is unsupported to get import-table contents updated as DQ -table updates without need to manually refresh Import-table. For import mode, you need to click the 'Refresh' buttton in Power BI Desktop, configure schedule refresh or click 'Refresh now' in Power BI Service to update data.

Best Regards

Allan

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Nor sure if I fully understand what you need but, you can reference the DQ table in Power Query and change it to import mode or just switch the original table to import.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors