Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndrewMorrison7

Populate report with email content

New user of Power Bi with a potentially daft question. 

As part of my job I recieve customer satisfaction surveys. These take the form of emails containing text displaying the survey results. e.g. 

How would you rate your experince? 4

How would you rate the response time? 5

Is there anything we could do to improve our service? Customer answer here. 

I want to create a power BI dashboard for these surveys. My hope is that i can create a flow that extracts the questions and scores from the email and updates a dataset with them. At the moment i am having to manually enter them which is very time consuming. 

Ideally the flow would be 

Email comes in to survey inbox -> Questions and answers are extracted and populated on a powerbi dataset, power bi report is then updated with the new data. 

Is there a way to do this? 

Thanks,

Andy 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AndrewMorrison7 

If your organization is using Microsoft Exchange Server to provide email, you can use Microsoft Exchange connector to import email data into Power Query Editor. Go to Get Data > Other > Microsoft Exchange.

072205.jpg

Once you connect to your email account and select Mail in Navigation window, it will load all emails under this account. You can filter rows to keep only survey emails and remove unneed columns. In Body column, you will see all data in Email body. You can expand this column and select TextBody.

072206.jpg

Then you can transform the TextBody column to extract questions and answers into the format you want. Once you have shaped the data into the format you want, you can create a report based on it easily.

072207.jpg

Here is a blog for your reference: Using PowerQuery with Email - The Excelguru Blog

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @AndrewMorrison7 

If your organization is using Microsoft Exchange Server to provide email, you can use Microsoft Exchange connector to import email data into Power Query Editor. Go to Get Data > Other > Microsoft Exchange.

072205.jpg

Once you connect to your email account and select Mail in Navigation window, it will load all emails under this account. You can filter rows to keep only survey emails and remove unneed columns. In Body column, you will see all data in Email body. You can expand this column and select TextBody.

072206.jpg

Then you can transform the TextBody column to extract questions and answers into the format you want. Once you have shaped the data into the format you want, you can create a report based on it easily.

072207.jpg

Here is a blog for your reference: Using PowerQuery with Email - The Excelguru Blog

Regards,
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AndrewMorrison7 

072205.jpg

072206.jpg

072207.jpg

Regards,

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Yes.  Your Flow could write each email to a file on SharePoint/OneDrive and then use PBI to transform and combine those files.  Or your Flow could parse the data and send it to a SharePoint list, Dataverse for Teams, or a  PBI Streaming Dataset.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors