Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jcampbell474
Helper IV
Helper IV

Please help with Dataflow(s)

I have a dataflow to use in multiple datasets.  I can't figure out how to filter the dataflow load into each dataset.  Each dataset will report different date ranges and products.

I don't need to filter the dataflow - it should contain all records (and be incrementally refreshed).  I need to use it as source data for a few other datasets/pbix's.  

I know that I can load the entire dataflow and filter to what's needed in PowerQuery, but really do not want to do that.  It's a large amount of data.

Is there a way to filter a dataflow load into a pbix?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, I think that would be the most efficient setup i.e. one 'base' data flow that brings in everything, then a number of other tables that reference (not duplicate) the base dataflow, but are filtered as required for the other different reports.

If your source that feeds the dataflow is an SQL server, I think the most efficient in terms of load may be connecting directly to the source from each report, as you could then make full use of query folding and staggered refresh times, but YMMV.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @jcampbell474 ,

You can't do this using a dataflow. You can do this via Query Folding when working with SQL servers, but a dataflow is essentially just a Power Query transformation in itself, so the opportunity for query folding has already passed by the time it comes into your model.

Obviously I don't know what kind of data volume you're working with, or how many adjustments you're looking to make, but an individual dataflow filtered to your requirements for each report may be your best bet here.

If you're on Premium Capacity, you can reference your main dataflow and filter the reference result to your requirements. This should reduce some of the processing load in producing multiple outputs.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thank you.  Yes, we're on premium capacity.

To make sure I understand, what do you mean by "filter the reference result to your requirements"?  Simply filter the dataflow itself to what's needed in the dataset?

Edit: Are you referring to having a 'base' dataflow, then create filtered dataflows sourced from it?

Yes, I think that would be the most efficient setup i.e. one 'base' data flow that brings in everything, then a number of other tables that reference (not duplicate) the base dataflow, but are filtered as required for the other different reports.

If your source that feeds the dataflow is an SQL server, I think the most efficient in terms of load may be connecting directly to the source from each report, as you could then make full use of query folding and staggered refresh times, but YMMV.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors