Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LucaA
Helper IV
Helper IV

Pivot Table linked to External Connection (Power Query)

Hi All,
i am using as source of my pivot tables an external connection to a PQ query.
After having created the pivots i have changed the initial query fields (column categories etc) several times and now in my pivot in the excel i still see all the old categories even if they are not existing anymore in the query and when i filter them in the pivot they are blank as no more data related to them are present in the query.
Is there a way to refresh the pivot in order to keep only new fields? i dont want to cancel the old pivot and redo it (in this way the problem is solved as the new query does not include old fields
thanks
Luca

5 REPLIES 5
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LucaA 

As tested, if you connect to an external data source with excel and convert it to a pivot table, updates from the data source side can be applied into excel with "refresh" button clicked.

However, if you create a pivot table in one excel, then connect to tjis pivot table in another excel file, then you filter or delete some columns in the original pivot table, it can't be update to the other excel file.

Best Regards

Maggie

@v-juanli-msft 

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

PQ query is in the file so as the PIvotTable related to it.

When i enter in the pivot filter i still see the old categories available even if they are no more present in the query. For example column "Product" which had values A,B;C originally but now it has only values A,B in the Query when uploaded in Excel, if i enter oin the PivotTable filter i still see product C

Any solution

thanks

Luca

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Hey there. Is this a Power Pivot model, where you could refresh the model? If not, have you gone to the options and cleared the cache?

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

No it is not a PP model, it it just a query of PQ imported only as PivotTable. I tried to clear the cache from PQ Options but nothing has changed, the problem is still there.

When i enter in the pivot filter i still see the old categories available even if they are no more present in the query.

Luca

Hi Luca,

I may be wrong but, I think I had the same problem you are describing. I had some fields that the data model was remember even after the were no longer in my source query. I had to go to "Manage Data Model" under the data tab in Excel. Once that opened, I was looking at the tables of all the queries I had in the background of excel. I found the query data that was source source of my pivot table and found the columns that were still in my pivot table but should not be. I was then able to delete those columns.

I hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors