Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal gateway can't identified

I need a gateway to publish a Power BI file which linked to local SQL server. So I installed On-Premises(Personal Mode). 

But when I accessed Power BI website and tried configure "Gateway", there showed nothing.

It looks like I don't have any gateway.

How can I configure personal gateway?

1.png2.png3.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally, I found the route cause!!

It was because "DirectQuery"!!

Personal gateway doesn't support "DirectQuery" mode. So I can't find gateway in datasets. 

I created a brand new PBIX file using "import data" instead of "DirectQuery". Now I can use personal gateway.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally, I found the route cause!!

It was because "DirectQuery"!!

Personal gateway doesn't support "DirectQuery" mode. So I can't find gateway in datasets. 

I created a brand new PBIX file using "import data" instead of "DirectQuery". Now I can use personal gateway.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all your help.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Next step is to make sure the gateway service is actually running on your PC, and then to add the connection to the gateway (in the Manage gateways section for enterprise gateways, not sure how that works for personal gateways)

Make sure to use EXACTLY the same connection details on the gateway and in your PBIX file.

If the gateway is still not visible you may have other on-prem datasources in your PBIX file that you need to declare in the gateway.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. But I still can't see any gateway in "Manage Gateways".

I didn't add any on-prem datasources in my PBIX file. I just inptut the sever name and datasource name in PBIX.

Also I really don't understand how to check if the personal gateway actully running on my laptop, cause I can't find its icon in the taskbar. 

Look in Services. It should be listed there as running.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, here's my situation.

I downloaded two on-pre gateways both, enterprise and personal.

I installed personal version, login my organization account, I didn't find on-pre gateway in windows servise even the software shows it's running online.

Then I installed enterprise version, but I can't login my organization account, but I found "On-presmies gateway" in servise, showed it's running.

However, either way I tried didn't workout. I still see nothing in "Manage gateways" of Power BI website.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors