Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

S_Atkinson
Regular Visitor

Personal Gateway

Hello,

Recently we've been trying to get our heads around the Pro version, including using the Personal Gateway. I am under the impression that this will allow us to make our Dashboards / Reports / Datasets auto-refresh at given intervals throughout the day.

Unfortunately, when I first configured this using the trial version, I did so on my Work's Desktop, the Hard-Drives of which recently became corrupted - ultimately requiring a PC Rebuild after purchasing new Hard Drives. This seems to be causing an issue with the Power BI DataSets, not allowing me to even access the "Gateway Status" tab underneath the "DataSets" header of the settings.

Is there a way to "disconnect" the old gateway from my datasets, or would I need to build these reports again from scratch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Sam

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You should be able to install a new gateway, log into the gateway with your credentials and it should show up in the Service and you can use that to update your existing reports.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I am having this exact same issue.  The original personal gateway has been entirely uninstalled but yet I can't seem to make the dataset forget it so that I can connect to the on-prem gateway.  The original personal gateway isn't even around anymore; doesn't show up in the list of gateways, but the data set still refuses to allow me to select another gateway that does exist.

Thank you for your reply 🙂

I've installed a new gateway on my new machine, logged in, but when I log in it says "Connected" and then asks me to "Close and Add Data Sources". When I click this, it takes me to the web-client for Power BI's Gateway Settings page - on which, everything looks fine.

Unfortunately, when I try to Schedule Refresh on my data sources, I get the following message:

"The Personal Gateway on DT1258 appears to be offline. Make sure DT1258 is turned on and the gateway is running. Then try refreshing your report in PowerBI.com."

When I click "Show Details" for this error, I get the following:

Activity ID: 4f0625b7-32da-426e-a9c9-04db36802c3c

Request ID: 3951ed64-62e6-76b5-68f3-c573f0e065cc

Status code: 200

Time: Fri Jan 15 2016 15:46:23 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Version: 11.0.9169.231

I've spent some time going through all the options and menu's I can see, so far I haven't found a way to drop a gateway that was previously set up, if that makes sense. Hopefully this information is helpful in diagnosing the problem itself, thank you for any help provided 🙂

Kind regards,

Sam

Sorry to bump this, unfortunately I'm still struggling to find a solution on my own.

Kind regards,

Sam

Use the smiley face icon to send a "frowny face" to support with a screen shot of the error.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors