Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

osinquinvdm
Advocate II
Advocate II

Personal Gateway setup times out

I successfully installed Personal Gateway on my laptop.

I successfully connected to Power BI (I think...).

but the step where the setup wizard says it is checking a few other things ends up with a time out message:

2017-03-01 13_22_58-Power BI Gateway – Personal.png

I read in the troubleshooting instructions that there might be an issue with running the gateway service.

How do we know if it is running? What name should we see in the service list? (I currently does not see anything that says power bi or gateway).

What other reasons could there be to the time out?

4 REPLIES 4

@osinquinvdm Under Services on your computer, there should be the "Data Management Gateway Service". You can see if it is running there.

Other things could be that you need to open ports, (which would be my guess on a timeout issue).

Make sure you've followed all the setup from here

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer !

I ended up unistalling the personal gateway and installing the enterprise gateway instead. this one just worked fine.

In case I go back to PG, do you know which port should be open?

thanks

@fiveone The link i provided in the previous post lists all the outbound ports used. They all default back to 443 if you only want one open. However, because you were able to install the OPD gateway, then you have the port open because they use the same ones...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer, good thinking, I now see that both documentation state that 443 is the defaut port - so the issue came from something else

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors