Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mh2587
Super User
Super User

Performance Difference

I have a question popping in my mind from yesterday which will be better in performance between Refrence Query and Duplicate Query Anyone will clear this confusion 

Thank you

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn Icon
Muhammad Hasnain

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mh2587 ,

In simple terms, Duplicate will duplicate the code of the query while Query Reference will only refer the result of the query.

Duplicate is generally used when you would like to create a similar query and you do not want to type the same code. You can make changes to this query.

Reference in Query means you would like to use that Query results in some other queries where your original query remains as a base Query and it can be used in other queries for the further processing.

No difference in the size of the PBIX file or performance. behind the scene would be two queries to the data source. It is just the difference in branching rather than copying.

Reference: Reference vs Duplicate in Power BI; Power Query Back to Basics - RADACAD

Solved: Difference between Reference and Duplicate - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mh2587 ,

In simple terms, Duplicate will duplicate the code of the query while Query Reference will only refer the result of the query.

Duplicate is generally used when you would like to create a similar query and you do not want to type the same code. You can make changes to this query.

Reference in Query means you would like to use that Query results in some other queries where your original query remains as a base Query and it can be used in other queries for the further processing.

No difference in the size of the PBIX file or performance. behind the scene would be two queries to the data source. It is just the difference in branching rather than copying.

Reference: Reference vs Duplicate in Power BI; Power Query Back to Basics - RADACAD

Solved: Difference between Reference and Duplicate - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @mh2587 ,

As far as I'm aware there is broadly no difference between the two.

Power Query generally doesn't cache the results of the source query to populate the referenced query, so you would end up making the same number of calls to the source either way.

However, I am aware of some exceptionally technical discussions around this subject on MS Technet. If you want to really get into the brain-busting details of this, then track down some of Ehren's posts on there. Otherwise I would just assume no difference and save yourself the brainpain.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors