Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ccarpent
Helper IV
Helper IV

Perform a test, read the the first 2 digits from a numeric field.

Hi

I trying to create a custom column based on how the value in column  'Project_ID' begins.  The Project_ID is a whole number, it does not contain any text values.  I wanted to flag any projects that are from our legancy system, projects from the old system begin with '11' plus I need to test if a few of them are still active but checking a field called 'Status'; which is a text field, shows these jobs are 'Active' or not; as smal number are still valid.    So if I can indentify which project is from the Legacy system I will populate a custom column; e.g. LegacyChecker, with the value 'Legacy'.  I was then planninng to then filter out thoese that have a value of 'Legacy'. The conditional formating in powerquery has 'begins with', but this only applies to text.  I am wanting to do this work at the powerquery or Query Editor stage rather then the front end; but will take advise on best practice.

Example data:

Project ID      Status    LegacyChecker

1123457        Active      

1155447        Active

1137897        Closed     Legacy

1147899        Closed     Legacy

Many thanks

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ccarpent ,

We can create a custom column like that to work on it.

if Text.StartsWith(Number.ToText([Project ID]),"11") and [Status] = "Closed" then "Legacy" else null

2.PNG

M code for your reference.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQ0MjYxNVfSUXJMLsksS1WK1QEJmpqamGAIGptbWIIEnXPyi1NToIImQEFLJMFYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Project ID" = _t, Status = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Project ID", Int64.Type}, {"Status", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "LegacyChecker", each if Text.StartsWith(Number.ToText([Project ID]),"11") and [Status] = "Closed" then "Legacy" else null)
in
    #"Added Custom"

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ccarpent ,

We can create a custom column like that to work on it.

if Text.StartsWith(Number.ToText([Project ID]),"11") and [Status] = "Closed" then "Legacy" else null

2.PNG

M code for your reference.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQ0MjYxNVfSUXJMLsksS1WK1QEJmpqamGAIGptbWIIEnXPyi1NToIImQEFLJMFYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Project ID" = _t, Status = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Project ID", Int64.Type}, {"Status", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "LegacyChecker", each if Text.StartsWith(Number.ToText([Project ID]),"11") and [Status] = "Closed" then "Legacy" else null)
in
    #"Added Custom"

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Frank

Thats great thanks for your help.

Chris

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If text, LEFT('Table'[Project ID],2) = "11" or if it is a number maybe LEFT('Table'[Project ID] & "",2)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Greg

Thanks for the formula, now that I have looked back over the table there is actually bit more involved, my mistake for not realising there is also some key extra data.  There are other Project ID's that do not start with '11' but they need to be included as they are not legacy data/cases.   I just wanted to exclude cases thoses that started with '11' and status <> Active or more accuartly their end date; Dates_2, is in the future.

I did come up with a formula, based around what you posted, I broke my solution down into more manageable chunks to get it to work.  Probally not my best work:

New Column: LegacyChecker1 =
if(LEFT([Project_ID],2)="11", "Legacy", " ")

New Column: LegacyChecker2 =
if(
     and(
      [LegacyChecker1]="Legacy",
      [Dates_2]>=today()),
          "Legacy Live",
              if([LegacyChecker1]<>"Legacy", "Active Live")
)

I did come across some M Language for 'List.AllTrue'  and 'Text.StartsWith', I was tryiing combine these functions with IF, AND and OR to create a single calculation; that was the theory.

Chris

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors