Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Reham
Frequent Visitor

Password of Default service account (NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService)

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new to Power Bi, hope that you can support me.

I have download On premises data gateway and it’s now online and ready to use.

However, I need to change the default service account to local domain account and when I’m trying to change it it’s asking for service account and password.

As I know the service account is the default one (NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService) but how can I know the password.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

23 REPLIES 23
joel_gibby_csc
Helper II
Helper II

How do we switch Gateway Service back to using "NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService" ?

You can't.  You need to completely uninstall and reinstall the gateway software on that cluster member.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Reham,

When I change on-premises gateway service account, it doesn't require to input password of NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService, just enter the domain account and enter password of the domain account as below, then restart on-premises  gateway service.

1.JPG

Could you please post a screenshot about the scenario?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for your answer.

Could you please advise me, how you get this screen as I have different screen as below.

Below are the steps I follow:

• login to On premises data getaway
  • go to service settings tap >> click on change account and then it’s showing below screen which is asking for the password

data.png

And one point please, do you know how to keep the On premises data getaway always signed in, so I don’t need to sign in every time I open it.

@Reham,

In Windows Services panel as shown in the following screenshot, right-click on on-premises gateway service and select property, then change service account.
1.JPG

Besides, you don't need to sign in gateway on your machine each time you use on-premises gateway to refresh dataset in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you get around the login of the gateway? Everytime the server I have it running on is restarted, the gateway shows offline until I login with our service account user.

completely uninstall and reinstall the gateway software on that cluster member.  Don't mess with the account settings.  The service will run just fine, no login required.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The service runs fine, but the Power BI webiste shows the Gateway offline unless a user is logged int and the application is open.

I have only seen that behavior when updating the gateway version  did not reflect in the service until the cluster member "phoned home"  one time.

As long as you go with the standard gateway install no active user is required.  I would recommend you do a full reinstall.  You have the recovery key, right?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did that all and it still does the same thing. If I don't log into the app after a restart it shows offline

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I start the app, it says the gateway is not running, but the service is running.

You're not trying to run two gateways on the same VM, right?

Anonymous
Not applicable

no.

Do you have proxies in your network, and if yes, have you modified the gateway config files accordingly?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-proxy

Anonymous
Not applicable

no we are not.

I don't see that behavior on any of our dozens of gateway cluster members. Assuming you have a Pro license you can consider raising a Pro ticket at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes we have a premium sub.

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for your valuable update.

I have changed the account to my email, restart the service and restart the laptop.

However, I'm still getting (Invalid connection credentials) error when attempting to add additional data source to my gateway through (Mange Gateways) in app.powerbi.com

I’m using Windows as authentication method and inserting the email & password I assigned in the Windows Services panel.

@Reham,

What data source do you add within gateway?

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

I have already added Oracle database as data source to the same gateway and used basic authentication method it work fine.

But when I tried to add Excel file either form hard disc or from OneDrive as web URL I’m not able to authentic this data source I have used both used basic & Windows authentication method but I’m still getting this error (Invalid connection credentials).

I have used my account and even the account that I have assign in Windows service panel.

Please any help will be appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors