Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

siva_powerbi
Helper IV
Helper IV

Passing the datasource user name and password in M Code - Power Query

When I connect to database in power BI, I get the database driver and database name in Source step of power query formula, When I run the same M code in any other/remote system Power BI is prompting for the database credentials to conenct to database.

But my requirement is to when I use the M code in any other system Power BI shouldn't ask me for the login credentials, for this I have tried to various connection options like Oracle Driver, ODBC, OLE DB but nothing seems to work.

Can experts suggest me the approach to pass the login credentials with in the Source of power Query or make the M Code to use any active/Live connection in application.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @siva_powerbi 

whenever Power BI needs a logon, it asks for it. You cannot hardcode any password in Power BI

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Thanks for the answer,

Can you please help if we can use any active/Live connection to use in M Query code when integrating M Query in a power shell. So that we can avoid giving user name and password in M Query.

Hello @siva_powerbi 

sorry, I cannot follow you. You would like to have a Live-connection to a datasource where credentials are needed. This means whenever somebody needs to update your datamodel, he needs to have credentials for it. I don't know what power shell here can change.

BR

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors