Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tomas12344
Helper II
Helper II

Pass parameter to query

Hi

please help, how to pass parameter to a query. I have to followign situation:

- have created a parameter in Power query of PBI = Parameter1

- have a query QUERY1, which downloads a data (from SAP BW). In this query, i need to filter the data. Therefore i have added within this query the filter condition with Paramter1

- this is working fine, i can modify the value of Parameter1 within the QUERY1, that means

Let

Parameter1="20200101",

......(code of the query)

filter_field=Parameter1 (somewhere here is the filter condition base on the value of Parameter1)

in ....

- but i need to call the QUERY1 multiple times and change the value of Parameter1. Need other solution then creating function and invoke this function from parametr table

- therefor i have created other query QUERY2, which calls QUERY1, like(Table1 is parameter table, where are listed the dates to filter in QUERY1)

let 

parmtable=Table1,

Parameter1=parmtable{0}[Year],

result=Query1

in result

- This Query2 reads the values form Table1, but it it not passed to the Query1 with Parameter1, it is always using the default value of Parameter1

Any idea, how to modify the Parameter1 to pass values base on Table1? Or how to pass a value of parameter, which is generated outside of query?

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, you will need to change Query1 to receive parameter nad then call Query1 as

result=Query1(Parameter1)

Hence your Query1 would become

(Parameter1)=>
Let

filter_field=Parameter1 (somewhere here is the filter condition base on the value of Parameter1)

in ....

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Parameter1=parmtable{0}[Year] - This will always pass the first value from parmtable

{0} - 1st row

{1} - 2nd row

and son

So, you just need to change 0 to appropriate value to pass the required parameter. Hence, if you need to pass the 3rd paramter, then this would become

Parameter1=parmtable{2}[Year]

You will also need to change your Query1 to receive Parameter1 as parameter.

Exactly, this is also working, but the value read from the table parmtable is not passed to the QUERY1, the QUERY1 is still using the default value of Paramter1.

Yes, you will need to change Query1 to receive parameter nad then call Query1 as

result=Query1(Parameter1)

Hence your Query1 would become

(Parameter1)=>
Let

in ....

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors