Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pagination Rest-API with no Link-Header or Response containing pages.

Hi everyone,

Since i've been working on this issue for some time now, i thought i might try my luck here.

I haven't really found anything that exactly solved my issue in related posts. and i'm struggling to modify other soutions since im quite new.

Situation: I'd like to get all pages via a Rest-API and merge them into one table. It is about 22 Pages max à 100 rows, so quite manageable. However the api doesnt provide much info. and i can't access a next_link or any helpful functions like $page since im not on OBD but connecting via WEB and Access-Token.

The code: 

let
url= "https://XYZ.mocoapp.com/api/v1/schedules?from=2021-01-01&to2021-12-31&page=",
token = [Headers=[Authorization="Token token=XXX"]],
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents(Text.Insert(url,82,Text.From(PageValue)), token)),

super_list = List.Generate(()=>Source, CheckEmpty(Source), PageValue=PageValue + 1),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(super_list, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"id", "date", "comment", "am", "pm", "symbol", "assignment", "user", "created_at", "updated_at"}, {"id", "date", "comment", "am", "pm", "symbol", "assignment", "user", "created_at", "updated_at"}),
#"Expanded assignment" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Column1", "assignment", {"id", "name", "customer_name", "color", "type"}, {"assignment.id", "assignment.name", "assignment.customer_name", "assignment.color", "assignment.type"}),
#"Expanded user" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded assignment", "user", {"id", "firstname", "lastname"}, {"user.id", "user.firstname", "user.lastname"}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded user",{{"id", Int64.Type}, {"date", type date}, {"comment", type any}, {"am", type logical}, {"pm", type logical}, {"symbol", type any}, {"assignment.id", Int64.Type}, {"assignment.name", type text}, {"assignment.customer_name", type text}, {"assignment.color", type text}, {"assignment.type", type text}, {"user.id", Int64.Type}, {"user.firstname", type text}, {"user.lastname", type text}, {"created_at", type datetime}, {"updated_at", type datetime}})
in
#"Changed Type"

what im trying is via PageValue parameter. to just create a for loop that appends all list via list generate as long as the list is non-empty. else fail.
I tried requesting a page that is empty and the server responded with an empty list, not an error.
currently the list.generate is very unhappy with my condition-clause. Im using List.isEmpty as a check in CheckEmpty Function. However:  it gives me expression error: We cannot convert a value of type List to type Number.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Solved importing it although it resulted in a nested Table, so not as easy to work with. which i'm what im doing now. Feel free to alter the code. I'm sure it can be optimised.

This is what i did in the main Query :
#"super_list" = List.Generate(()=>[page=1,Funct = Convert_Page_Table(1)], each (try[Funct])[HasError]=false, each [page=[page]+1,Funct=Convert_Page_Table([page]+1)]),
#"Page_list" = Table.FromRecords(#"super_list"),

This is the custom function I implemented : 
(PageValue)=>
let
url= "https://XYZ.mocoapp.com/api/v1/schedules?from=2021-01-01&to2021-12-31&page=",
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents(Text.Insert(url,82,Text.From(PageValue)), token)),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error)
in
#"Converted to Table"

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Solved importing it although it resulted in a nested Table, so not as easy to work with. which i'm what im doing now. Feel free to alter the code. I'm sure it can be optimised.

This is what i did in the main Query :
#"super_list" = List.Generate(()=>[page=1,Funct = Convert_Page_Table(1)], each (try[Funct])[HasError]=false, each [page=[page]+1,Funct=Convert_Page_Table([page]+1)]),
#"Page_list" = Table.FromRecords(#"super_list"),

This is the custom function I implemented : 
(PageValue)=>
let
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error)
in
#"Converted to Table"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors