Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dkpcr5
Helper II
Helper II

Paginate through API call in M

Hi,

I'm pulling data using an API call in M Query. The record count is in the tens of thousands, but the API can only retrieve 2000 records per page. How can I retrieve all records? (If by using Table.GenerateByPage, how would I incorporate that function into the query below?)

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents(
    "endpointURL&$top=2000",
    [Headers=
        [   
            #"key1" = "abc",
            #"id1" = "123",
            #"header1" = "def",
            #"key2" = Text.Combine({parameter}),
            #"response-cache" = "false",
            #"header2" = "x",
            #"header3" = "y",
            #"header4" = "z"
            ]]
        )
    ),
#"Converted to Table" = Record.ToTable(Source),
Value = #"Converted to Table"{0}[Value],
Custom1 = Table.FromList(Value, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(Custom1, "Column1",
{"Column1", "Column2"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Expanded Column1",{{"Column1", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows"

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please see this video for a good way to do this.

Power BI - Tales From The Front - REST APIs - YouTube

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please see this video for a good way to do this.

Power BI - Tales From The Front - REST APIs - YouTube

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

That video was super helpful - thanks so much!

One thing I'm still unclear on: If I parameterize the URL, what would be the best way to incorporate the API call Headers?

I'm assuming you would use the same headers for each web call.  Is that not the case?  Can you share your query from the Advanced Editor?

Pat

The query from the Advanced Editor has evolved a bit since asking the original question. Here's the newest version, with keys removed. (Notice the inclusion of $top=50 in the OData call, because otherwise, the call times out.)

let
    Source = List.Numbers(0, Count/50, 50),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Json.Document(Web.Contents(
"https://endpointURL?$filter=Type%20eq%20%27Base%27%20and%20Date%20eq%20%272021-09-26%27%20and%20Value%20ne%200&$top=50&limit=50&offset=" &[Column1],
[Headers=
        [   
            #"Key" = "abc",
            #"id" = "def",
            #"Content-Type" = "application/json",
            #"key2" = Text.Combine({key2parameter}),
            #"response-cache" = "false",
            ]]
        )
))),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Column1", "Custom"}, {"Column1.1", "Custom.1"})
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

I'm also attaching a screenshot of my attempt at using your limit = + offset = method for paginating API calls. From the image, you can see what I'm returning. It looks like, rather than getting 50 records for Column1 = 0, another 50 records for Column1 = 1, etc. as you do in your video (at the 16:55 timestamp), it looks like I'm trying to get all available records (~15k) once within each Column1 (so, 15k records returned for Column1 = 0, another 15k records returned for Column1 = 1, etc.). Any thoughts on where I'm going wrong with the limit = & offset = method?

Capture.PNG

Found it!!! I was doing "Table.AddColumn" twice. (Somehow did this when adding the custom column.)

Now that that's resolved, it works! Pat, you're the man - thank you so much!!

@mahoneypat I may have spoken too quickly here... I got the API to return results, but including that $top=50 parameter in the call just meant I get the top 50 results over and over again. The call now looks like this:

https://endpointURL?$filter=Type eq 'Base' &Date='2021-09-26'&$top=50&limit=50&offset=" &[Column1]

But, if I remove the $top=50, then the API returns a 500 error (even with the limit & offset functions included).

Thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? (If I get a 500 error in my browser or Postman, I can get a log ID response that our development team can use internally to track a more precise error message. Is there any way to retrieve a response ID from within Power BI when it throws a 500 error?)

Figured it out. User error; needed to switch limit / offset to top / skip.

Thanks again! Cheers!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors