cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john-paul
Frequent Visitor

PQ Countifs based on two columns

Hi,

I loaded the below table (first 4 columns) into Power Query, and want to add a column that counts the total number of occurances of the Product and Region combinations.

I tried Group By on Product and Region, but Name and S column were removed, and I would like to retain them

Hope someone can help.

ProductRegionName$Desired Result
123NorthDavid1003
123NorthDavid1003
123NorthEric1003
456CentralEric1002
456CentralPeter1002
789CentralPeter1001
789NorthTom1001
1010NorthTom1001
123SouthTom1001

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlB
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @john-paul 

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyVtJR8ssvKskA0i6JZZkpQNrQwEApVoc0WdeizGQkSRNTMyDPOTWvpCgxh7B0QGpJahGSvLmFJRHyMLtD8nOR3WVgaIBbEuzo4PxSdLlYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Product = _t, Region = _t, Name = _t, #"$" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Product", Int64.Type}, {"Region", type text}, {"Name", type text}, {"$", Int64.Type}}),

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Product", "Region"}, {{"aux", each _},{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), Int64.Type}}),
    #"Expanded aux" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "aux", {"Name", "$"}, {"Name", "$"})
in
    #"Expanded aux"

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AlB
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @john-paul 

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyVtJR8ssvKskA0i6JZZkpQNrQwEApVoc0WdeizGQkSRNTMyDPOTWvpCgxh7B0QGpJahGSvLmFJRHyMLtD8nOR3WVgaIBbEuzo4PxSdLlYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Product = _t, Region = _t, Name = _t, #"$" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Product", Int64.Type}, {"Region", type text}, {"Name", type text}, {"$", Int64.Type}}),

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Product", "Region"}, {{"aux", each _},{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), Int64.Type}}),
    #"Expanded aux" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "aux", {"Name", "$"}, {"Name", "$"})
in
    #"Expanded aux"

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

john-paul
Frequent Visitor

Thanks AIB for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

March Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the March 2021 Updates!

secondImage

The largest Power BI virtual conference

100+ sessions, 100+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI. Attend online or watch the recordings.

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power BI

See the latest Power BI innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors